Another catfish spawn Arkansas river!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We don't get any toilet paper or trash when fishing the Arkansas River at Ponca. It's the first dam on the Arkansas after it leaves Colorado. Goes underground around Dodge City due to massive irrigation, comes back out of the ground with some feeder creeks West of Wichita and flows South from there to Kaw.
It is also the lake charged with being the first to hold flood waters from the river to help the Mississippi when it floods. Kaw fills up first, then Keystone, and then they just maintain the flood waters at full capacity on most years. 30' over normal pool levels, only releasing as much to maintain the safety of the dam.
If one goes under the Kaw City bridge on the west side, there is some lime green paint under the bridge with the date and flood levels. Maybe some initials, to show how high the lake has been.
I may or may not know who those initials belong to, but it's a long way up when the lake is at its normal level of 1010'.
We do get some flood debris on occasion from home steads or cabins built too close on private land up in Kansas. Some of the feeder creeks flood which also contributes.
I have a 10 gallon air tank that I recovered from a brush pile on the bank when fishing. Found it about 10 years ago and it is still in use.

Latest posts

Top Bottom