Another El Paso Saddlery "Pocket Max" holster...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't wanna hijack Burk's thread, so I started another one.

BurkLee's thread about his newly acquired "Pocket Max" pocket holster by the great guys at El Paso Saddlery made me green with envy. :w000t:

For Burk's thread, and pics (his holster and mine are identical) please click here...

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63982&highlight=elpaso

Burk talked in great detail about the pros of the EPS "Pocket Max" holster. He didn't have any "cons" worthy of mentioning. Quite frankly, I don't either. However, I would like to address one issue.

Printing. :shocked:

Seems to me that this little guy prints pretty badly. Of course, I haven't given it much of a thorough workout. I just got it yesterday, and immediately I swapped it out with My DeSantis "Nemesis" that I've been totin' my S&W J frame model 38 Airweight Bodyguard in every single day since last October.

Burk's review was dead on! :thumb: It's tapered design helped it to fit down lower and deeper into my pocket than the square bottom DeSantis "Nemesis" did. It's rough out design even grabbed the inside of my pocket better than the DeSantis. Even the draw was better due to it's shape and design. The DeSantis "Nemesis" actually tends to cover a lot of the revolver, resulting in a poor combat grip capability. All in all, I was so impressed with Burk's review of the holster, it SOLELY was my inspiration for buying one. I had owned a Galco horsehide pocket holster back in the spring that was made very similar to this one, but it was a tad wider along the bottom. So I figured - eh...what the hell. :rolleyes:

Well...that and I found one on GT for 35 bucks shipped. ;)

Anyway...on to my "problem" with this holster.

It's design, while it holds the revolver very, VERY well, it does tend to print just a little bit while in the pocket. Like I said, I've only had it for going on 21 hours at the time of this posting, so I haven't had it in anything other than my uniform pants last night (which make even a pocket knife look like a...:lookaroun...well...:rolleyes2) and when I ran to town just a few hours ago in a pair of my favorite gym shorts.

I haven't had an opportunity to try it in a pair of cargo shorts or even a pair of jeans yet. Of course, with it's tapered design, it may not fit my cargo shorts very well. The inside of those pockets are square. I guess my DeSantis "Nemesis" will still see a little carry time after all. :D

Anyway...seems like a "good" scabbard IMHO. Not GREAT but "good."

In the spirt of Burk's rating method, I'd give it 3 and a half (out of 5) hollowpoints. :patriot:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the review, GED. I'd seen those EP pocket holsters in their catalog, and wondered how good they were. When you say it prints "pretty badly, " is it obvious you're packing some J-heat? Or can it be mistaken for a wallet or something?

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the review, GED. I'd seen those EP pocket holsters in their catalog, and wondered how good they were. When you say it prints "pretty badly, " is it obvious you're packing some J-heat? Or can it be mistaken for a wallet or something?

It prints "pretty badly" for MY taste. It may go unnoticed to others. Like I said, I haven't had a "real" opportunity to test it around common folks yet. I'll know more after this weekend...maybe. ;)

I've yet to see anything rival the pocket holster by Mika's.

I had a Mika. It was a little too big and bulky for me. :disappoin

I have a pocket holster by Tim Thurner of www.ttgunleather.com on order as we speak. It's a close replica of the awesome Milt Sparks PCH-R I once had with my 442 that I traded last year. The Sparks is about $85. Tim sells his for 50 bucks. :)

I shoulda kept the Sparks. It really was worth every penny. Maybe this TT Gunleather one will be just as good. If it is, I'll probably sell this El Paso and buy a left handed TT for on duty carry.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW, talk about putting the pressure on me :) "SOLELY your inspiration" ?

I won't disagree that it prints more in slacks than it does in jeans or cargo shorts. I think it probably prints more to US than it does with the sheeple though.

I carried a Nemesis for a long time and it wouldn't seat down in my pocket like I needed it to. That combined with the feel of leather gives this one a slight edge over the DeSantis FOR ME. I understand we each have different needs though and I hope I didn't mislead anyone.

Give 'em all a try and see what works form you.

BC

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WOW, talk about putting the pressure on me :) "SOLELY your inspiration" ?

I won't disagree that it prints more in slacks than it does in jeans or cargo shorts. I think it probably prints more to US than it does with the sheeple though.

I carried a Nemesis for a long time and it wouldn't seat down in my pocket like I needed it to. That combined with the feel of leather gives this one a slight edge over the DeSantis FOR ME. I understand we each have different needs though and I hope I didn't mislead anyone.

Give 'em all a try and see what works form you.

BC

Yeah, I accepted the fact that I'm probably thinking about it too much. Like you said, the sheeple don't notice it, so that's the main thing.

I still haven't went back to the DeSantis "Nemesis" either. I like the way this one seats down in the pocket better too. :D

And yes, my decision to buy this holster was SOLELY inspired by your post. :thumb: I had never considered this holster before you started your thread about it.

Good job! :clap3:

mln1963

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GED

What is it that is making it print? Is there a certain area that is jumping out to your eye? Does it do it all the time, when seated or standing?

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GED

What is it that is making it print? Is there a certain area that is jumping out to your eye? Does it do it all the time, when seated or standing?

Just it's basic construction. It's a little too hand boned for concealment, IMO.

In jeans and shorts it's great. But it printed a little too much in my uniform pants pocket.

And I'm in a uniform more than I am in civies. :grumble:

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GED

Since I seemed to have started all this mess :) I will chime in again. I have been carrying this holster for a while and usually in cargo shorts or jeans. Sure, if you know there is a pistol in there it will look like a pistol but I this holster is as good as any leather holster I have seen or touched.

What seems to "print" more than the holster (to me) is the grips of the revolver. if the grips were a little more rounded or less conspicuous I think it would be better concealed. the rest of the revolver just looks like a clump of stuff in my pocket.

If you wear dress slacks or a uniform most of the time, go with a Destantis nemesis.

BC

Latest posts

Top Bottom