Another Tin Foil what is it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find it interesting they had to use a triple-axle trailer and triple-axle truck.

A normal semi tractor and trailer with (2 trailer axles and 2 truck axles) can carry 80,000 lbs.
http://www.thetruckersreport.com/facts-about-trucks/
They used 3 axles for the trailer and 3 for the truck. That indicates the load is more than 80,000 lbs.
With the extra axles, I'm guessing the max allowed load could be up to 120,000.

So that could indicate the cargo weight is between 80,000 and 120,000 lbs.
A fully loaded and fueled-up XB-47 weighs 44,567 lbs. (max takeoff weight)
An empty weight XB-47 is 14000 lbs. This would easily be handled by a typical semi-flatbed.
(See specifications)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_Grumman_X-47B

I agree it looks curiously similar, but I have no idea.
But the extra-heavy trailer infers something a bit heavier.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find it interesting they had to use a triple-axle trailer and triple-axle truck.

A normal semi tractor and trailer with (2 trailer axles and 2 truck axles) can carry 80,000 lbs.
http://www.thetruckersreport.com/facts-about-trucks/
They used 3 axles for the trailer and 3 for the truck. That indicates the load is more than 80,000 lbs.
With the extra axles, I'm guessing the max allowed load could be up to 120,000.

So that could indicate the cargo weight is between 80,000 and 120,000 lbs.
A fully loaded and fueled-up XB-47 weighs 44,567 lbs. (max takeoff weight)
An empty weight XB-47 is 14000 lbs. This would easily be handled by a typical semi-flatbed.
(See specifications)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_Grumman_X-47B

I agree it looks curiously similar, but I have no idea.
But the extra-heavy trailer infers something a bit heavier.

The weight on each axle has to be considered. Also, they couldn't have thrown it on a typical flatbed because they wouldn't have been able get it underneath bridges and overpasses.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to burst everybody's conspericy bubble,
The two aircrafts in existance are being transported to Maryland for sea trials and aircraft carrier operation testing.
Ponca City happened to be on its route.

C'mon Dennis! You know the government never builds just two of anything. ;)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The weight on each axle has to be considered. Also, they couldn't have thrown it on a typical flatbed because they wouldn't have been able get it underneath bridges and overpasses.

Which is why they came through Ponca. The roads coming though town are all overpasses. I35 has underpasses.
Ponca is a common route for oversized, over length loads. Blades for windfarms are extremely common to see on the roads through town.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I don't disagree about clearances. But I've seen plenty of low-boy trailers with duel-axles.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gross weight of the truck loaded is 80,000 lbs. Typically you can haul about 40,000 lbs max on a standard truck and trailer set up with out any additional permits. The weight of the truck by itself is over 30,000 lbs.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gross weight of the truck loaded is 80,000 lbs. Typically you can haul about 40,000 lbs max on a standard truck and trailer set up with out any additional permits. The weight of the truck by itself is over 30,000 lbs.
Way back in my day of truck driving, 83250 was the gross load. Its been awhile, but hasen't that been changed to the 92K range now?

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seem to recall hearing something about flying UAVs over populated areas of the US being against FAA regs. Also if it's travelling long distances, safer to do it by truck.

Sorry, dude, I was being a smartass. Ingnoring a smartass is good tactics, tho. Regardless of regs, I don't think they would fly a "X" designated UAV to Pax River for flight test anyway, if that's what it is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom