Any Android/T-mobile Gurus Here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First thing is that Metro is still a MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator). They are the lowest on the totem pole in terms of quality of connection. So it will ALWAYS be a worse connection than directly from the cell site owner.

One of the things to look at though is the APN settings. It's rare but it is possible that they could have 2G APN's put in use. It could also be that the APN you are using just doesn't want to play nice. https://bestmvno.com/apn-settings/metropcs-apn-settings/

The other thing I can think of is that if you are getting bad speeds your phone may actually be roaming and on a different carrier's tower. So try and turn roaming off. https://smallbusiness.chron.com/set-android-phone-turn-off-roaming-44996.html If it is off try and turn it on and maybe get lucky that it will switch over and work better.

It also depends on the tower coverage and what you are getting. If you are on the fringe of the tower it will still drop down to a lesser quality because they still tend to work farther out.

Beyond that I can't be a lot of help but honestly throwing more money at the problem by buying a booster of some sort is probably not the best idea if you had ok service with another carrier. When I switched to Fi it was partly due to knowing that I had decent service with Tmobile already and that is one of the providers they use but also because they also use sprint and us cellular networks. Cell service maps are also based on perfect world computer generated maps based on the land topography and tower location/height of equipment. The one advantage Tmobile has there is they actually use network use data to show that a spot has service where they say it should. Beyond that maps are partly perfect world voodoo.

DrewS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I missed the Metro part, thought 04L was a TMo customer. The mini cell towers are free from TMo and Sprint if your experiencing coverage issues but would not expect Metro to offer these.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
First thing is that Metro is still a MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator). They are the lowest on the totem pole in terms of quality of connection. So it will ALWAYS be a worse connection than directly from the cell site owner.

One of the things to look at though is the APN settings. It's rare but it is possible that they could have 2G APN's put in use. It could also be that the APN you are using just doesn't want to play nice. https://bestmvno.com/apn-settings/metropcs-apn-settings/

The other thing I can think of is that if you are getting bad speeds your phone may actually be roaming and on a different carrier's tower. So try and turn roaming off. https://smallbusiness.chron.com/set-android-phone-turn-off-roaming-44996.html If it is off try and turn it on and maybe get lucky that it will switch over and work better.

It also depends on the tower coverage and what you are getting. If you are on the fringe of the tower it will still drop down to a lesser quality because they still tend to work farther out.

Beyond that I can't be a lot of help but honestly throwing more money at the problem by buying a booster of some sort is probably not the best idea if you had ok service with another carrier. When I switched to Fi it was partly due to knowing that I had decent service with Tmobile already and that is one of the providers they use but also because they also use sprint and us cellular networks. Cell service maps are also based on perfect world computer generated maps based on the land topography and tower location/height of equipment. The one advantage Tmobile has there is they actually use network use data to show that a spot has service where they say it should. Beyond that maps are partly perfect world voodoo.
Okay, turning roaming off didn't help, neither did turning it back on.

I'll try adding the alternative APNs. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I would request a 4G LTE CellSpot from TMobile to boost your signal at home. From your original post it sounds like the problem is mostly when at home. The 4G LTE CellSpot is a mini cell tower in your home or small office, which connects through your Internet. It creates a 3G/4G and 4G LTE signal to create better indoor coverage, more dependable voice calls, and consistent data speeds.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/4g-lte-cellspot

Blake711 you sound very knowledgeable on this subject.
Thanks. Looks like it needs internet to work and I don't have internet. Also like you said I doubt that Metro would provide one.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Not sure how Tmobile works as far as tech support. If you were just talking to front line associates you need to push and ask if there is a second level or tech support. Since you have a 4g phone it reports its stats back to them. You just have to to get high enough in the food chain to get someone that knows how to look at the stats. Its the old squeaky wheel thing. They can see if you have good signal or not. There are a ton of things that affect your actual throughput. Do you just have the one phone at your location or others using them also? If so similar or different device brand/model?

If you bought it at a T-mobile store I would be tempted to take it back to their location. They should theoretically have a tower near by with good coverage. If you were in town (OKC) its as easy as drive a mile in about any direction and you will change towers. If your remote your options will be less. Also Indoor vs outdoor signal is something that is measured. So you have indoor, outdoor and in vehicle. Outside should be your best signal. If you have a metal roof, or metal buildings near by, in a valley, next to a lake. It all affects signal differently. Does signal improve when you got outside?

If your really wanting to know what the phone sees you can download a tool called G-Net Track Lite https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gyokovsolutions.gnettracklite&hl=en

it will show you what tower your attached to. What towers it sees and signal levels. Its gonna be way more info that the normal person cares for or understands but it will easily let you tell when you changed towers. I would imagine you either have a poor signal or a device issue.
I'll look into that. Hopefully I won't need some kind of degree to use it. Thanks!

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score

Okay, turning roaming off didn't help, neither did turning it back on.

I'll try adding the alternative APNs. Thanks!

I tried all three of the alternative APNs and none of them helped.

GunSlingingPlatypus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reset your Network Connections in your settings.
  1. From the Home screen, swipe up on an empty spot to open the Apps tray.
  2. Tap Settings > General Management > Reset > Reset network settings.
  3. Tap RESET SETTINGS.
  4. If you have set up a PIN, enter it.
  5. Tap RESET SETTINGS. Once complete, a confirmation window will appear.
Then empty your Cache Partition.
Wipe cache partition
  1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Power key.
  3. When the Android logo displays, release the keys.
  4. An 'Installing system update' message will show for 30 - 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
  5. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
  6. Press Power key to select.
  7. Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
  8. When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
  9. Press the Power key to restart the device.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
  3. Tap RESET SETTINGS.
Wipe cache partition
  1. Turn off the device.
  4. An 'Installing system update' message will show for 30 - 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
  7. Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.

Thanks. I had tried resetting network connections a few times but I didn't know about the wipe cache partition part.

I am waiting for a call back from tech support right now. If it isn't fixed this time I will try the steps you posted.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
  3. Tap RESET SETTINGS.
Wipe cache partition
  1. Turn off the device.
Thanks. I had tried resetting network connections a few times but I didn't know about the wipe cache partition part.

I am waiting for a call back from tech support right now. If it isn't fixed this time I will try the steps you posted.

Well I tried all that and it didn't help. It might actually be worse now, if that's possible.

I'm about ready to chunk this thing in the dumpster.

Latest posts

Top Bottom