Any Charter Arms users out there?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I gather from reading other sites that early Charters were top quality, but the company fell on hard times in the late 80's. The word now is that the current owner of Charter really has their act together and manufacture quality revolvers, many of which are ideal for CC.

For grins, I contacted Charter Arms directly and ordered the Crimson Trace Laser sight for my .357 Target Bulldog. They had an excellent price for the new Grip with built-in laser ($199). Interestingly, the Customer Service lady at CA says that the Grip/Laser Sight fits ALL of their revolvers except for the Derringer!

My laser grip arrived last week, and I was able to install the it on my 34 year old Bulldog in minutes. I will take it to the range this weekend and first verify that the adjustable stock sights are accurate at 15, 25 and 50 feet. Then I will adjust the laser to match the stock sights. Detailed instructions are included on how to make the adjustments.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish I hadn't sold it.

Me too! Mine was a nickel plated one and I kick myself regularly for selling it.
Currently the only Charter Arms I own are the "Bonnie & Clyde" set my wife bought us many years ago. A 32 H&R mag (Bonnie) and a 38 spl (Clyde).

The original Charter Arms family bought the company back a few years ago and have helped get the quality back where it was.

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my wife a charter arms "chic lady" this weekend. She likes it. It's a really pretty gun. If I was a woman I would definitely want one!

I saw several dealers selling Charter revolvers at the OKC gun show this weekend. I was able to pick up a pair of speed loaders for mine.

LL

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad has a .357 Target Bulldog (5-slhot) he bought at a garage sale in 1975 for $50. It has always worked well, though it hasn't ever seen a very high round count. It puts em where you point it. It was the first gun I fired as a child. I expect it to be around for the next
generation to cut their teeth on pistol shooting with too. Now put this in the category of "random knowledge from gun show vendors that might or might not be true," but I heard that the older Charter Arms were fairly high quality, and then later under new ownership they started cutting corners like gluing in barrels and whatnot. Then in recent years they got their act together and started making decent quality pistols again.

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad has a .357 Target Bulldog (5-slhot) he bought at a garage sale in 1975 for $50. It has always worked well, though it hasn't ever seen a very high round count. It puts em where you point it. It was the first gun I fired as a child. I expect it to be around for the next
generation to cut their teeth on pistol shooting with too. Now put this in the category of "random knowledge from gun show vendors that might or might not be true," but I heard that the older Charter Arms were fairly high quality, and then later under new ownership they started cutting corners like gluing in barrels and whatnot. Then in recent years they got their act together and started making decent quality pistols again.

This is exactly what I read on other States' shooting websites. The last I heard was that the original family bought back the company and that is when quality went back up. So pistols made in Stratford, CT are supposed to be high quality, while subsequent factories not so much. Pistols that have been released in past five eyars or so are back to the origianl quality. Like you said, "gun show gossip"

LL

Latest posts

Top Bottom