Any of you hog hunters ever been attacked?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Overhead at local far eastern Oklahoma barber shop, said one guy, "Haven't seen many deer this year."...barber replied"Yeah? What're you growing?"...guy replied, "Ticks and rocks."
Companion barbershop tale: fellow visiting Slidell, LA. Commented to his host: "Ya'll don't have any bats." Host: "The skeeters 'et 'em all."

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only when trapped. Then they often will charge. I've had them bounce off the fence in front of me several times. Had several piglets trapped once with 3or4 mommas outside 3 of them ran off but one old sow went about 10 yards stood behind some thick brush and stood watching me. Thought she was going to charge but when I shot the first trapped one she ran. I personally think most times when a person gets bit hog is just running blindly also.but if they get close and you try to block them some way they will definitely fight. Most folks are more scared of or are hurt by a tame hog

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never! When startled, pigs will run in the direction their nose is pointed. If you are on that line they will run right at you, but that isn't attacking, it's running and pigs have very bad eye sight. I have been surrounded by feral pigs and never have I been attacked, but I'm sure the "my friend knows this guy who's cousin's nephew knows a guy who was attacked" are being cued up as I type. In my experience day hunting is pretty hard as they are generally nocturnal. I think the amount of day time pigs I have shot could be counted in the teens as opposed to hundreds at night, and I just sit out in a lawn chair or walk them up, no trapping.
I hunted hogs in Turkey in the mid-80's. Once. One of them turned on us and tried to attack with its spine broken and hind legs dragging. 12 ga. Shotgun with punkin balls. Took two more in the head to stop it. They called them Russian Boars. Don't know how much resemblance to our feral hogs. I may still have one of his tusks. He was about 400lbs. I was armed, but mostly a spectator. Never fired a shot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom