Any reasons to choose a 16 inch vs 18 inch barrel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very nice. The Noveske/DD I have for sale is 6lbs 2oz but has the 9" rail instead of the longer one. Could cut some more weight on the stock.

[Broken External Image]

That is a short rail. A 6 lb rifle is light. No matter how you get there. That thing has a lot of high end parts on it.

Yeah, I'm a fan of the long slick rails. The only full picatinny rail I have left is my "night" gun. I've had it for a long time (for me anyway) and it has a DD lite rail. Needed the rail sections to mount an IR light and IR laser. Even it is a 12" rail with a 14.5" barrel.

As far as the stock, I like the STR's. However, I've been swapping my stocks out for the ACE socom stocks. They are great, solid stocks.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a short rail. A 6 lb rifle is light. No matter how you get there. That thing has a lot of high end parts on it.

Yeah, I'm a fan of the long slick rails. The only full picatinny rail I have left is my "night" gun. I've had it for a long time (for me anyway) and it has a DD lite rail. Needed the rail sections to mount an IR light and IR laser. Even it is a 12" rail with a 14.5" barrel.

As far as the stock, I like the STR's. However, I've been swapping my stocks out for the ACE socom stocks. They are great, solid stocks.

Modular rails are the way to go. Leaving my Mk18 upper as-is but looking at options for my 12.5" Noveske which has the SWS rail but I am not sure if I want keep it 'whole' with the Noveske NSR Keymod or go with Troy Alpha/VTAC or DD MFR or ???. Planning it around a suppressor that is in ATF jail so I am stuck with pictures of others guns on the interwebs for comparison.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Modular rails are the way to go. Leaving my Mk18 upper as-is but looking at options for my 12.5" Noveske which has the SWS rail but I am not sure if I want keep it 'whole' with the Noveske NSR Keymod or go with Troy Alpha/VTAC or DD MFR or ???. Planning it around a suppressor that is in ATF jail so I am stuck with pictures of others guns on the interwebs for comparison.

I have a 12.5 with nsr. I'll post a pic.

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am thinking about the Daniel Defense V9 (16inch) or MK12 (18inch) that are going to be released mid-March. BUT I think I will wait for a bit to see how they hold up, in the mean time I am thinking about adding an M4A1 to my herd.

Last edited:

kahrk-9

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is not a bid deal for most, but if I am going longer than 16 I will go 20 just because I will always be able to find parts more easily if I need to replace them (including the barrel itself).

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is not a bid deal for most, but if I am going longer than 16 I will go 20 just because I will always be able to find parts more easily if I need to replace them (including the barrel itself).

What parts are you talking about? The only thing different is the barrel. 18" and 20" both have a rifle length gas system. Handguards can go on either. Etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom