Any thoughts on Taurus .40 Slim

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I turned in my CC paperwork at the end of April. I've been waiting until the OC issue was resolved before deciding on a carry weapon.

I don't have a huge budget. Right now I've narrowed it down to the Taurus 40S Slim and Kahr CW40. I'm leaning towards the Taurus because it just felt better in my hand.

Anyone have experience with either?

Thanks

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
no experiance with the slim, but if it is the one that feels best, then perhaps it will work for you. The Kahr Cw has a proven history. Sooner state pawn on here, always has kahr's...and probably the taurus priced right.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought the slim in 9mm. It was the gun that made me decide to never own another Taurus. I had a PT111 that had a horrible trigger and feeding problems. I bought the slim after that. It felt great and was very easy to carry. The trigger was horrible. The first mag had a ftf. I had two more in 50 rounds of ammo. Shoot one first and make sure you like it, before you buy one.

Area Man

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad had the Taurus, and the trigger was ridiculous. His didn't break until after you thought it was all the way back. Kahrs, in my experience, have pretty nice triggers.

Definitely try both before buying!

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have several Kahrs in the past, CW9, CW40, CW45 and currently CM9. THESE pistols are AMAZING!!! They are very tight out of the box and need to be broke in, the manual states 200 rounds. But I have never had a malfunction in my CM9 or any of the others! These pistols are proven reliable and very, very light. The Taurus on the other hand has been a very big let down, the only one I would even consider owning would be a Ultra light revolver. Hard to screw those up!

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My thoughts on the Taurus: Sucks; IMO, don't waste your money on a gun that may or may not work. Plus, 40 is too high for my "gun allowance" money on to buy the ammo in the amount I like to shoot. The Kahr: Doesn't suck. Nice, light, reliable guns. Am not a big fan of the .40 anyway... 9mm or .45acp for me. 9mm is cheaper to shoot, and the .45 acp is well, a .45acp...nuff said. My Glock 26, a 9mm, works just fine if I need a small IWB piece. But for my preferred carry piece, (I just haven't found a better overall carry gun for me anyway), than the light, slim, dyno-mite-in-your hand Glock 36. Had and liked the Kahr in both CW9 and the excellent PM9 but am just a Glock fanboy so I switched the CW for the Glocks for my belt guns, and went back to the uber reliable and oh so damn good S&W 442/642 for my pocket. Didya look at the Ruger slims too? Lots of peeps like those and not too expensive. Anyway, keep an eye on the classifieds here, once you get enough posts anyway, and especially ol cooljeff, the poster right above me. He'll have something for sale any day now. :)

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks people.

Sooner State Pawn is only a couple miles from work so I'll visit them. I'll give the Kahr a look again and check out the Rugers.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just my 2c but I have a LOT of experience on this. Unless you KNOW you shoot the .40 better get a 9mm!! The 9 is just fine for selfdefense and most all folks ( this includes the high speed guys) shoot the 9mm Much better. Remember that its all about holes in the right places.

AS for the Taurus I've not seen ANY of them make it though a one day training class let alone two..... Get the Kahr or maybe see if you can find a Walther PPS or S@W Shield.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just my 2c but I have a LOT of experience on this. Unless you KNOW you shoot the .40 better get a 9mm!! The 9 is just fine for selfdefense and most all folks ( this includes the high speed guys) shoot the 9mm Much better. Remember that its all about holes in the right places.

AS for the Taurus I've not seen ANY of them make it though a one day training class let alone two..... Get the Kahr or maybe see if you can find a Walther PPS or S@W Shield.

this^ 40 is never fun to shoot in a thin ,light gun and in my experience taurus sucks.

R

rsc

In my experience, having owned a PT1911 and TCP 738 as well as shooting my dad's PT1911, Taurus has never given me any problems in thousands of rounds. The .40 has a better reputation for reliability than the 9 does in the Slim series, but do you really want to deal with the heavier recoil? Every manufacturer makes lemons, some just have better customer service or advertizing. Taurus has revamped its customer service in the past 2 years and is apparently pretty good now. Pick whichever you like and be happy with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom