Anybody add ambi safeties on SR1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a bunch of ambi 1911 thumb safeties out there. Some have the RH side paddle intended as a device for occasional use weak handed use by RH shooters. Others are more suited for constant use by LH shoters. Some are primarily intended for tactical/match use; others for carry only.

All require some fitting; some quite a bit of fitting. The wrong shaped paddle (for you as an individual)will eat on your hand or your clothing. Some of the early MS Safari ambi's, for example, ate clothing they touched quickly. A paddle fitted with too little "snap" will inadvertently go from "safe" to "ready to shoot" when you do not so intend. The plate that sometimes overhangs the grip safety, in a partly fitted ambi, will chew on the web of your hand with every shot.

Personally I prefer the Wilson wide "gas pedal" part http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Ambidextrous-Thumb-Safety-High-Ride-Stainless/productinfo/423S/ I've fitted a few of these. They are more difficult to fit than some, but the final results are perfect for me. I use them primarily on competition guns that are carried as CCW guns some of the time. The SS material can be reshaped to your individual hand and requirements. I set them still enough that they do not inadvertently disengage themselves in the holster during carry. Yes, I do strongly advocate that you make sure that the grip safety is completely functional.

Talk to Barry G.

Latest posts

Top Bottom