Anybody make opening day?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quail season opened up today. I went deer hunting this morning, and saw a few, but nothing close enough to fling an arrow at. This afternoon we went to a lease in noble county, that is 120 acres of fresh cut milo, with brushy water-ways running through it. I hope this is an indication of things to come, as we moved 4 huge coveys of quail on the small area, also getting up a couple dozen roosters, and lots of hen pheasants. We had my Brittany, and one of the other guys had a shorthair. The birds were there, but would not hold for a point at all?? Even hunting into the wind with a slight drizzle, they would flush as soon as the dogs got close to locking up on them. About 3/4 of the way around the field, my dogs beeper indicated he was locked up on a point really solid, and a friend circled around the back side of the johnson grass clump, and I saw two bobcats run out the back side. Not season so I couldn't shoot them, but I can guarentee when trapping season opens, we'll be in there trapping them out.
We did manage to get a couple of birds, and I can sure tell I'm rusty on my wing shooting, but with this many birds, it won't take long to get polished up again.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad you got a good report Dennis. I am looking forward to Dec 1 for the pheasant.

We had plenty of pheasant on this trip, but I'm not so sure about the farm in Grant county. Right at nesting season they had an 18" rain in 24hrs, that turned miles, and miles of nesting cover into a giant lake. I've seen a few during deer season, but not the numbers we normally have.

Latest posts

Top Bottom