Anybody restore an automobile

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd do a cost comparison. I know you can rent a dustless blaster on a trailer in some places and DIY. Between the cost of that, metal patchwork/welding, shaping, smoothing and prep work, you may find it's just as cheap and much easier to source a new tub.
I always thought it'd be cool to build an aluminum bodied Jeep with a potent V6 under the hood.

I like the v6 idea, not sure about the aluminum body. Aluminum dissipates heat so well, the heat from the engine and exhaust may overheat the passengers.

I’ve seen or heard of replacement tubs for $1200 and up. The low price was someone telling about a price they saw. I haven’t seen one that low.

As far as I can tell, there are 2 small rust areas that I will weld in patches. I thought at first I might need to replace panels, but the spots could be repaired with a couple square inches of sheet metal.

The media blasting may be a different story. I have no idea what it costs to have someone blast it. Anyone have an idea?

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Next I have a Dodge Warlock & a Dodge Li'l Red Express to finish.

I wish you were closer so I could volunteer my (lack of) skills just so I could work on those 2 trucks. Those are 2 vehicles that are in my bucket list but are not very likely to ever be checked off (especially the Warlock).

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the v6 idea, not sure about the aluminum body. Aluminum dissipates heat so well, the heat from the engine and exhaust may overheat the passengers.

I’ve seen or heard of replacement tubs for $1200 and up. The low price was someone telling about a price they saw. I haven’t seen one that low.

As far as I can tell, there are 2 small rust areas that I will weld in patches. I thought at first I might need to replace panels, but the spots could be repaired with a couple square inches of sheet metal.

The media blasting may be a different story. I have no idea what it costs to have someone blast it. Anyone have an idea?

http://tulsadustlessblasting.com/

https://www.americanrentaltulsa.com/equipment.asp?action=category&category=10

https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipment/subcat/755/abrasive-blasting-equipment/

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish you were closer so I could volunteer my (lack of) skills just so I could work on those 2 trucks. Those are 2 vehicles that are in my bucket list but are not very likely to ever be checked off (especially the Warlock).

My dad got pretty lucky when he found that Warlock.
The previous owner did not know what it was.
When I saw it, I knew immediately, & told my dad that truck needs to go home with us. The next day, I drove it onto the trailer & we took it home.
About half the body work is done, just need to get one project out of the way to make space for it in the shop, or get a bigger shop.

Last edited:

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the last I did.....'74 Chevy Nova Hatchback. Mostly a stock rebuild. Painted it "Mayflower Moving Van Green". Certainly one I wished I still had (sold it for damn good money years back, but for only a fraction of its worth now). And yep, that's a picture of a picture.

DaveinOKC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just made a mess on my keyboard after reading your build!!!

It's a long term project, just finally getting in a position to start completing it. Once I get a little further along with my build I will post some more pictures. Will take a bit, with just myself and my brother doing all the mechanical work, interior, etc. Will be doing everything in my garage, except the body work and paint.

David

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a long term project, just finally getting in a position to start completing it. Once I get a little further along with my build I will post some more pictures. Will take a bit, with just myself and my brother doing all the mechanical work, interior, etc. Will be doing everything in my garage, except the body work and paint.

David
Had bought/sold several 67-68 Camaro's and several 66-72 chevelles but never had a 69 Camaro.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The Tulsa Dustless guy did a good job on the one thing I hired him to do. An old sign we re-did for the Pearl shops here in Tulsa.

Be careful just renting the pot and doing it yourself. You can really screw up the sheet metal on a car if you do it wrong.

Picture of the sign for anyone who cares.

Attachments

• IMG_6669.JPG
    IMG_6669.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 125

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gotta get in on this thread just to read the progress. One of my passions is musclecars. Unfortunately I cannot afford them. When I go to hotels during work I glue myself to the Motortrend channel and watch all of the restoration customization shows. Wifey even took me to Phoenix to Barrett Jackson last year.

My first car was a 67 Chevelle Malibu white over light blue.

Kinda like this one except for a white top and chrome reverse wheels. It was my college car. I loaned it to my girlfriend and she wrapped it around a tree. She was OK but car was totaled. I still shed a tear every time I see a 67 Malibu but it ain't for her.

190139_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Son lives in Phoenix and actually worked on a SEMA bound Bronco they ended up not taking because of bad business decisions by the owner.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My only muscle car was a 1966 Ford GT-390 with the NASCAR heads in the late 70's. It was a beast of an engine, the body metal flake Blue with pearl flakes in the paint. C-6 tranny that would bark the tires when hitting passing gear at highway speeds.
I looked that model up recently in a website that priced those models that had been restored currently.
It was worth a chunk of change. I sold it to a cousin for $250 when it started using oil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom