Anyone buy a big grill lately?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
O/P I'm in the same boat. My 4 burner Charbroil commercial LPG/NG grill is on it's last legs. It has brass burners (no longer offered in new models) and they are fine but the tubes between burners, main interior pan, the heat plates and the grill plates are just toast. I guess it's time as it's only getting close to 10 years old.

I'm with the charcoal guys and am totally torn on a BGE or Primo kamado style cooker. I like the convenience of gas but there is just no comparing the flavor with charcoal. Kamado style ceramics appear to let you regulate the heat just about as well as gas even over long running cooks so I'm going that route. Now if I can just make up my damn mind!

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the gas vs charcoal debate has bee hashed and rehashed on here. No doubt charcoal wins on flavor. I'll eventually pick up a traditional Weber for days when I have time to mess with it. Otherwise its gas all the way.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the gas vs charcoal debate has bee hashed and rehashed on here. No doubt charcoal wins on flavor. I'll eventually pick up a traditional Weber for days when I have time to mess with it. Otherwise its gas all the way.

I can have my BGE up to searing temp in 15 min

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
O/P I'm in the same boat. My 4 burner Charbroil commercial LPG/NG grill is on it's last legs. It has brass burners (no longer offered in new models) and they are fine but the tubes between burners, main interior pan, the heat plates and the grill plates are just toast. I guess it's time as it's only getting close to 10 years old.

I'm with the charcoal guys and am totally torn on a BGE or Primo kamado style cooker. I like the convenience of gas but there is just no comparing the flavor with charcoal. Kamado style ceramics appear to let you regulate the heat just about as well as gas even over long running cooks so I'm going that route. Now if I can just make up my damn mind!

I'm still using my smoker as a charcoal grill either because I can't decide between the 2 or because I can't let a grand plus out of my tight hands.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't get my gas grill up to true searing temp at all much less 15 minutes. I mean it'll get there but as soon as you open the lid to put on the steaks it's gone.

Turn on the fan on my BBQ guru, and light the charcoal with my Looftlighter and just keep stoking it with the Looftlighter. It's 650 degrees quickly! And being ceramic it holds the heat very well.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The searing grill on my Kenmore will turn a thick steak into crispy charcoal in 15 minutes.
I like med-rare to rare. No more than 1 1/2 minutes per side, and its ready to eat.
That beast gets hot!

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The searing grill on my Kenmore will turn a thick steak into crispy charcoal in 15 minutes.
I like med-rare to rare. No more than 1 1/2 minutes per side, and its ready to eat.
That beast gets hot!

I didn't mean sear the meat for 15 min. I was just saying that going real charcoal with a BGE isn't really much more inconvenient than a glass grill. Once I get mine to 700 degrees or so, it doesn't take much to cook a steak to medium rare which is what I like.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't mean sear the meat for 15 min. I was just saying that going real charcoal with a BGE isn't really much more inconvenient than a glass grill. Once I get mine to 700 degrees or so, it doesn't take much to cook a steak to medium rare which is what I like.

I knew what you meant. Those Green Eggs are fantastic. Never cooked on one, but the local swim pool place is a distributor, and they have demo days there on occasion.
Always make sure I need some pool supplies on those days, and visit the shop for some great snacks.

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Weber Genesis for me as well. I had a Walmart charbroil for years as thought I was terrible at grilling. Now I can cook without burning everything with ease. Really like the cast iron grates

Latest posts

Top Bottom