Anyone carry a 686? Holster question....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am thinking of using my 686 snubbie for "part time" carry. Just wondering what is a good holster and if any of you carry a 686 now.
Thanks guys.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not to knock the 686, but I think you'd be better served by a model 66. The K-frame compared to an L-frame, the K is a lot smaller, lighter, an easier to carry than the L. Plus .38Spl +p loads are going to be easier to shoot, and keep your rounds on target, than blasting away with .357 magnum loads.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to knock the 686, but I think you'd be better served by a model 66. The K-frame compared to an L-frame, the K is a lot smaller, lighter, an easier to carry than the L. Plus .38Spl +p loads are going to be easier to shoot, and keep your rounds on target, than blasting away with .357 magnum loads.

I agree with you. I am just wanting to maybe carry the 686 a little. I carry my G26 99% of the time.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a 6" 686 in the woods with me. It's taken a few deer, and various other critters throughout the years. I've been through about a dozen "universal" fabric hipsters for it. Broke down and let a local Mexico Artisan tool me a holster last year. He did some superior work! Not to knock a 66, for it's a fantastic firearm... But I too prefer a full lug barrel.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 686 can be carried but, I would say your choice of gun belt is more important than the holster. I carried one for a while in a desantis thumb break on a looper belt is carried easy enough but there were just too many things out there that carried better. the 686 is now my dedicated nightstand gun.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just started carrying my 4 inch 686 in a Desantis owb holster. I usually carry a sig 226 in a crossbreed. I really like the 686, but the 4 inch version is so big, it's hard to unholster quickly. I think I'm going to start carrying the 686 around home and the sig out in town. I LOVE the 686 though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom