Anyone had the opportunity to shoot the S&W 500?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJeff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just wandering if anyone has had the opportunity to shoot the .50 caliber handgun by S&W, called the S&W 500? I have read articles that the 4 inch version can be easier to handle than the 8.5 inch version. It's a big gun with pricey ammunition, but control seems to be reasonable despite the power of ammunition. Also, interesting that Oklahoma will not let anyone carry larger than .45 caliber. Other states are free of this limitation. Any thoughts?

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 500, she is a beast. Loud as hell and very impressive flash and recoil.

As far as the .45 limit, I have no idea. I believe there are other states in our union that have caliber limits. I guess the OSBI didn't want to see .50 cal Desert Eagles on the streets. Who knows.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot one, but I would not have one unless I was in bear country. I did not find it very pleasant to shoot and the ammo is real expensive. If I lived in Alaska I probably would have one though.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes I have, my brother-in-law has one. It's shootable, the recoil doesn't really interfere too much - the gun is so blasted heavy that I think the weight eats up a fair amount of recoil. It sure does make a ruckus, it's the loudest handgun I've ever fired. And I sure wouldn't want to feed it because of what the ammo costs.

As far as bears in Alaska, the folks that live up there say that 454 is enough so that's the direction I'd lean.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot tony rumore's 4 inch version about 6 years ago with his custom handloads. the bullets were 650grn cast. When i shot it, it felt like being hit in the palm with a hammer. Makes full power .44mag loads feel like a .22. I've also seen a guy bust out a tooth and bust his lip open shooting one.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
...I don't see a reason for one besides just wanting it. Anything around here can be handled with less.
I shot one a few years ago and was never really interested. But that's just my opinion.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot a fair amount of both 500S&W and 460S&W(way better choice). At least that way when you don't want to rock two blocks, you can shoot 454 Casull and 45 Colt. My buddy has a Trijicon RMR on his 460, with which target acquisitions are very abrupt. It is ported which tames the recoil a bit but damn is it loud. The 500 is pretty out of this world with max loads.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I thought everyone had a 500 Smith. I don't shoot mine but every once in a while. I've had 2 red dots on mine. The first spit all of the guts out through the top adjustment turret, the second broke the lens in the front. It has a bit of recoil, but it always puts a smile on my face when I shoot it.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could not embarrass me enough to shoot one of those things.

Real men shoot S&W 500s, girlie men shoot 1911s.

They are fun to shoot at the end of a range session, about a cylinder worth. Then they start to remind me of shooting an ultralight 30.06, holding the stock about 2" from my shoulder.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom