Anyone had the opportunity to shoot the S&W 500?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whatever you do dont cycle the action by dry firing it then thinking the cylinder would rotate the opposite direction. Thats what happened to the guy that got a busted lip and knocked his tooth out at a gun range. Gun went off and came back and hit him right in the mouth.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heck I have been toying with trading my Redhawk 44 for something smaller that I can use more, why the heck would I want a 500????

shooter226

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have shot the 8 inch and the 12 quite a bit. The recoil was sharp and there was noticable blast. The snub version was super loud.

I dont think that you should be restricted on the cal. gun that you carry. That could be the only gun that you have.

Mark

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had an opportunity a few years back but decided to pass. Twenty years ago I would have shot it for sure, but anymore the 44 magnum is all the recoil and muzzle blast I want to take. Guess I'm just getting soft in my old age.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe it's me, but the recoil out of an 8.5" version is not bad. My .454 Ruger Redhawk kicks much worse, probably due to the weight difference in the guns. If you want true pain from firing a handgun, shoot and Encore pistol in 30-06! My hand was bleeding after 8 shots through mine!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Recoil was managible, agree with the above, recoil was the same or less than my super redhawk .454. Much less than 500gr loads out of my Encore .45-70, which has eaten a red dot and two pistol scopes in its many days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom