Anyone have land for 300-600 yrd shoot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
East of Catoosa on 412? Not in my backyard, but I'd be up for a shoot sometime. I hate shooting alone.

It may not be technically "long range," but 500 is a heck of a lot longer than I've ever shot.

Ya, just east of catoosa on 412
We go out a couple times a month
We bout to start working on some big back stops.

Swapwap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation. I've hunted white tail for years in the south and never took a shot over 100 yards for a kill. Now that I live out here I am working on getting some hunting in Denver going so I've invented I an f&d defense .308 and need to learn the ends and out of longer range hunting. I'm will to assist with land work or even funds to get some long range experience.

If anyone is up for it, please let me know.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

B Gordon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation. I've hunted white tail for years in the south and never took a shot over 100 yards for a kill. Now that I live out here I am working on getting some hunting in Denver going so I've invented I an f&d defense .308 and need to learn the ends and out of longer range hunting. I'm will to assist with land work or even funds to get some long range experience.

If anyone is up for it, please let me know.
Thanks.

Got a positive update to this story.
I took Swapwap to Red Castle (near Tulsa) last Saturday and worked him on the fundamentals of marksmanship to get him comfortable with how to shoot a rifle properly at longer range than his previous 100 yard efforts.
We had a great time.
Before going to the range I worked him on a software program designed to educate on the mechanics of utilizing moa or mil ranging optics for about 30 minutes. Honestly would have preferred to spend a couple of hours with the software but we were burning daylight and it was getting hot fast.
We worked about half a day at the range and went thru about 120 rounds of ammo.
He shot the majority of the time utilizing a .223 AR with a 3-10x mil dot scope.
Utilizing a bipod and rice sock from the prone position he was getting good solid hits out to 400 yards on steel turkeys after 50 or 60 rounds, which would equate to about a 8" round target. Towards the end he was getting solid center hits almost every shot.
I then switched him over to a 6.5 Grendel AR that has a hunting scope with holdover yardages so that he could get some exposure to that style of reticle. He (wisely) decided to focus on the mil-dot scope style as his preference.
Used a different Grendel with a mil-dot scope for a while to pop steel at 550 and 645 yards along with using a laser range finder to mimic the steps it takes while hunting to determine yardage and take a high percentage shot.
Once I felt he was doing a solid job of hitting the 9" x 14" target at 645 yards with the Grendel he switched over to shooting a nice accurate bolt rifle with a high dollar optic setting on top to get comfortable with doing the same thing with a bolt rifle.
His last couple of shots with the bolt rifle were a nice 2" group at 645 on the steel so we went down range and took a picture of the pinnacle of his day of training.
An outstanding time was had by all.
End of update.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a positive update to this story.
I took Swapwap to Red Castle (near Tulsa) last Saturday and worked him on the fundamentals of marksmanship to get him comfortable with how to shoot a rifle properly at longer range than his previous 100 yard efforts.
We had a great time.
Before going to the range I worked him on a software program designed to educate on the mechanics of utilizing moa or mil ranging optics for about 30 minutes. Honestly would have preferred to spend a couple of hours with the software but we were burning daylight and it was getting hot fast.
We worked about half a day at the range and went thru about 120 rounds of ammo.
He shot the majority of the time utilizing a .223 AR with a 3-10x mil dot scope.
Utilizing a bipod and rice sock from the prone position he was getting good solid hits out to 400 yards on steel turkeys after 50 or 60 rounds, which would equate to about a 8" round target. Towards the end he was getting solid center hits almost every shot.
I then switched him over to a 6.5 Grendel AR that has a hunting scope with holdover yardages so that he could get some exposure to that style of reticle. He (wisely) decided to focus on the mil-dot scope style as his preference.
Used a different Grendel with a mil-dot scope for a while to pop steel at 550 and 645 yards along with using a laser range finder to mimic the steps it takes while hunting to determine yardage and take a high percentage shot.
Once I felt he was doing a solid job of hitting the 9" x 14" target at 645 yards with the Grendel he switched over to shooting a nice accurate bolt rifle with a high dollar optic setting on top to get comfortable with doing the same thing with a bolt rifle.
His last couple of shots with the bolt rifle were a nice 2" group at 645 on the steel so we went down range and took a picture of the pinnacle of his day of training.
An outstanding time was had by all.
End of update.
Very nice of ya! Good write up too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom