Anyone not plant their food plot yet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was out of town 2 weeks ago when we finally got rain, so I didn’t get a chance to plant then. Now I check the weather each day and see no rain in the forecast. I’m hopeful I can plant something in the next few weeks, but the forecast isn’t looking ideal yet. Planting wheat so guessing it’ll come up around Nov if I plant in a few weeks.

Anyone else not get around to planting due to the weather?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another thread I have been posting in about food plots.
Screenshot_20241003_163638_Samsung Internet.jpg

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have planted 8 acres at my farm and have held off planting at my house. I will be planting shortly though. I planted 2 deer candy persimmon trees this past week and the first thing I noticed was how moist my soil was. I have approx. 1.5" of thatch on my field which has insulated the ground from rapidly drying out. I have also notices that the soil is approx 5 degs cooler than the air temperature. I have also noticed that my clover and vetch has come out of dormancy and is growing along with some rye. The deer are grazing it. What is different?
What is different, well I have been practicing what I have been preaching about regenerative agricultural practices. I have taken my soil samples and added the micro and macro nutrients plus the recommended fertilizers that the soil analysis indicated were needed for the past 3 years. The soil is protected with the thatch, is cooler and has more moisture, and more life in it. I am practicing what I preach and am seeing the results of my labor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom