Johnson grass - food plot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I haven’t been out there yet since last winter.

Parts of it were maybe a 1’ and other parts up to 2-2.5’ which I probably won’t mess with.

The landowner specified no fires in the lease agreement as the land has tons of cedar trees on it located in Logan county.

My nephew just said he would bring his tractor out there and see what we could do with the grass and hopefully plant some stuff.

I’m still reading about this grass and trying to do all I can to get some food plots this fall.

Johnson grass is usually 5' tall by mid summer and that's with little to no rain.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You won’t get rid of burning, discing or spraying.

You can use Pastora and spray it and it’ll kill it out for this year and possibly next depending on how strong you mix it. And like has been said above use glyposate and it’ll work for awhile and it’ll be cheaper than Pastora.

If you disc it you’re gonna agitate it and it’ll come back stronger.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
You won’t get rid of burning, discing or spraying.

You can use Pastora and spray it and it’ll kill it out for this year and possibly next depending on how strong you mix it. And like has been said above use glyposate and it’ll work for awhile and it’ll be cheaper than Pastora.

If you disc it you’re gonna agitate it and it’ll come back stronger.

But he can still have a fall/winter plot.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Johnson grass in first pic is 7'-8' tall. Second pic was mowed down almost 4 weeks ago.
20240809_162652.jpg
20240809_162723.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a place on the Salt Fork that floods occasionally. It was left fallow for a couple of years and became completely overgrown with Johnson grass.
Spraying was an option but came by an old implement that was used to bring peanuts to the surface. Burned the field, then started with the peanut sweeps to pop the roots out of the soil and lay on the surface to dry out for a couple weeks in the hot sun. It looked like snow on the dirt on the first pass.
Two weeks later, dropped it down another 4-5” and popped up more roots.
Eventually got down to a foot deep and just kept working the field every two weeks all summer and fall.
The following spring patches of Johnson grass started coming up again from the latent seeds and roots. Worked it hard again during the summer, planting winter wheat that fall. The next year and for years after, there was little to no grass showing up. Just tiny patches. They were never allowed to go to seed. Planted that field for many years before retiring. Three years later, it’s back to 100% Johnson grass.
It’s a never ending fight. Now, I just mow and till up a patch in front of the stand, plant winter wheat and use it for a fall kill plot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom