Glyphosate Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We mow, drill in seed, and glypho bomb a day or two later. If it ain't green and growing, glypho won't have any effect on it at all. It doesn't kill vegetation by chemical means, it's a super sunscreen that blocks uv and prevents photosynthesis.
It prevents protein production by shutting down shikimic acid pathways needed to produce glucose during photosynthesis. It's still going through photosynthesis, it's no longer producing anything in the end for the plant and it dies.That's why it's possible to make Round-up ready crops.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I’m just lazy. I quit putting in food plots about 6 years ago. I started spending my time investing in improving the quality of the forage that already exists on our property by doing controlled burning, brush hogging, plowing and disking and removing cedars. There are many resources available for this type of information. The Noble foundation at Ardmore has a great website. There are many native plants that can be improved for the deer’s diet. I believe if I can help improve our land it’s a win win for everyone. Some people don’t realize how much forage and browse is available for wildlife. I still miss looking out of my hunting blinds and not seeing those beautiful green food plots but I can live with that.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe I’m just lazy. I quit putting in food plots about 6 years ago. I started spending my time investing in improving the quality of the forage that already exists on our property by doing controlled burning, brush hogging, plowing and disking and removing cedars. There are many resources available for this type of information. The Noble foundation at Ardmore has a great website. There are many native plants that can be improved for the deer’s diet. I believe if I can help improve our land it’s a win win for everyone. Some people don’t realize how much forage and browse is available for wildlife. I still miss looking out of my hunting blinds and not seeing those beautiful green food plots but I can live with that.
100% true. ODWC has a Wildlife Habitat Improvement Program(WHIP) which will actually help out with the costs associated with preparing your property for a prescribed burn, removing cedars, thinning out canopy....

I enrolled our property but missed on the funding to cover building our fire breaks - needed it done sooner but they don't pay 100%, just a percentage of the actual cost. Have a great ODWC resource assigned if I have any questions. 80 acres of ours is solid oak trees with about a 6" base of leaf litter. Planning a prescribed burn in December or January depending on mother nature.

I'll keep the food plots for now but anxious to see the new growth after the burn.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know this doesn’t answer the OP’s question but a high dollar food plot doesn’t always deliver the end result of venison in the freezer. Maybe I’m in a good spot or maybe not but since I stopped putting in food plots I have still have harvested deer yearly. And I’ve saved hundreds of dollars on seed, diesel and time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got my big food plot put in today.

IMG_2112.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom