Glyphosate Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In order for it to be effective, you have to drink it. Otherwise it might spread to your neighbor's well.

Sry guys, couldn't resist...I saw that interview clip year s ago and every time I hear roundup I think of this dude.

Last edited:

Whoisitrlly

Marksman
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Me, I’ve always avoided the stuff, but if I have to put it down, I err on the side of caution and wait 3-3.5 weeks before even planting wheat, usually with some sunflowers and radishes mixed in. Don’t ask me why, i don’t know, it just works. I typically have 10 out of 12 of my 1-2 acre clearings turn into deer buffets every year doing this.

fishincoop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OP: I’ve used glyphosate for 30+ yrs commercially. All glyphosate is only effective on green leaves & stems. It is a systemic herbicide that is absorbed into the plant tissue. Once the spray dries on the plant, you’re good. There is no residual effect on the soil. It doesn’t prevent germination of seeds in the dirt. Spray it, plant it, when you have the time, money, and effort to “git er done”.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well crap! How big is that food plot? Beyond the tractor the dirt goes to the horizon. Also, what are you dragging behind the tractor. Very curious as I have no idea what that pile of $$$ is being towed.
Actually I have no food plot at that feeder location. That’s a pic of our farmer pulling an air seeder. Pretty much does a soil prep and seed planting in one pass. There’s a 156 acres in that pic so I call it the big food plot.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
You need at least a two week period after using Gly before planting.
Go ahead and till it up, and plant. The time for making the perfect plot is next season when you have more time.

Kinda related… but I did a lawn renovation this last month and the glyphosate bottle I used said you could plant grass seed 3 days after application.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kinda related… but I did a lawn renovation this last month and the glyphosate bottle I used said you could plant grass seed 3 days after application.
I may be thinking of 2-4-D then.
Edit: for sod and turf that’s correct, but when clearing brush, Johnson grass, etc needing a stronger formula, a much longer time may be required.
The OP was talking about clearing for a food plot, not a lawn.

Glyphosate, a well-known herbicide works by preventing plants to grow by blocking particular enzymes. Plant tissues absorb the glyphosate quickly and spread across the system, which helps to stop the growth of unwanted plants. This herbicide should be allowed to penetrate as it requires time to affect the roots of the weeds. Glyphosate is one of the products included in Roundup; it is worth waiting at least for few days before seeding, depending on the amount and type of chemicals used.

It may even take months to seed if the combination of chemicals used is more severe than expected. But usually, it is recommended to limit the use of glyphosate and plant the seeds within a week for good results. When the Glyphosate is sprayed, the chemicals reach the roots of the plants from the leaves which vanish the plants. But, glyphosate does not leave any residue. The chemical present in the glyphosate affects the grass and weeds but does not produce any other major side effects.

Last edited:

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may be thinking of 2-4-D then.
Edit: for sod and turf that’s correct, but when clearing brush, Johnson grass, etc needing a stronger formula, a much longer time may be required.
The OP was talking about clearing for a food plot, not a lawn.

Glyphosate, a well-known herbicide works by preventing plants to grow by blocking particular enzymes. Plant tissues absorb the glyphosate quickly and spread across the system, which helps to stop the growth of unwanted plants. This herbicide should be allowed to penetrate as it requires time to affect the roots of the weeds. Glyphosate is one of the products included in Roundup; it is worth waiting at least for few days before seeding, depending on the amount and type of chemicals used.

It may even take months to seed if the combination of chemicals used is more severe than expected. But usually, it is recommended to limit the use of glyphosate and plant the seeds within a week for good results. When the Glyphosate is sprayed, the chemicals reach the roots of the plants from the leaves which vanish the plants. But, glyphosate does not leave any residue. The chemical present in the glyphosate affects the grass and weeds but does not produce any other major side effects.

Maybe I should have mentioned it in my OP but these food plots are the same ones I developed for the first time last year prior to deer season. THey grew well and lasted well into 2024. I let them grow but didn't get a massive amount of weeks. Once the food plot growth ended/died and Spring rolled around I got some weeds and stuff start to come up that was there before developing the plots. It never got back to the huge growth or with woody plants or 4' tall growth of random weeds. I cut it as low as my mower would go. THen I used my brush grapple to back drag all the plots to bunch up the cuttings to dumped in my burn pile. Real low mowing and back dragging got the food plots down to bare dirt in a lot of areas. Had bit more weed regrowth by late August so did a quick mow again. What I was spraying the glyphosate for was some of the real short weeds and any other plant that was coming back up from the rains we had several weeks ago. The plots, when I sprayed, looked like an old worn out soccer field at the end of a long season that got no maintenance at all. I wasn't spraying huge amounts of foliage.

So, this weekend, knowing we are supposed to get some heavys on Wednesday/Thursday I decided to make it happen. Rented a 3pt tiller for my Kubota and tilled the hell out of the plots. It was making about 6-8" of real nice powdery soil. Went over each plot about three times. I was a dusty mess but could find very little evedence of any weeds/green showing I the dirt. Then used my kubota to drag a heavy harrow with mutilple passes. Third, I used my ATV to spread 200# of 10-10-10 on all three plots. THen used two hog/goat panels to drag and cover the fertilizer. After that and final step used the ATV again to spread 200#s of Buck Forage Oats and 50# of winter wheat and drug the plots one final time. I think I got a lot of seed down for about 2 acres of total food plots.

I wanted to get this all done before the pending rain so threw caution to the wind and went for it. First pic is my small food plot and second is my medium plot. At this point I had only used the tiller on the plots. Didn't get any pics of my large, more secluded plot.

1696214302669.png
1696214210824.png
1696214302669.png

1696214210824.png

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I should have mentioned it in my OP but these food plots are the same ones I developed for the first time last year prior to deer season. THey grew well and lasted well into 2024. I let them grow but didn't get a massive amount of weeks. Once the food plot growth ended/died and Spring rolled around I got some weeds and stuff start to come up that was there before developing the plots. It never got back to the huge growth or with woody plants or 4' tall growth of random weeds. I cut it as low as my mower would go. THen I used my brush grapple to back drag all the plots to bunch up the cuttings to dumped in my burn pile. Real low mowing and back dragging got the food plots down to bare dirt in a lot of areas. Had bit more weed regrowth by late August so did a quick mow again. What I was spraying the glyphosate for was some of the real short weeds and any other plant that was coming back up from the rains we had several weeks ago. The plots, when I sprayed, looked like an old worn out soccer field at the end of a long season that got no maintenance at all. I wasn't spraying huge amounts of foliage.

So, this weekend, knowing we are supposed to get some heavys on Wednesday/Thursday I decided to make it happen. Rented a 3pt tiller for my Kubota and tilled the hell out of the plots. It was making about 6-8" of real nice powdery soil. Went over each plot about three times. I was a dusty mess but could find very little evedence of any weeds/green showing I the dirt. Then used my kubota to drag a heavy harrow with mutilple passes. Third, I used my ATV to spread 200# of 10-10-10 on all three plots. THen used two hog/goat panels to drag and cover the fertilizer. After that and final step used the ATV again to spread 200#s of Buck Forage Oats and 50# of winter wheat and drug the plots one final time. I think I got a lot of seed down for about 2 acres of total food plots.

I wanted to get this all done before the pending rain so threw caution to the wind and went for it. First pic is my small food plot and second is my medium plot. At this point I had only used the tiller on the plots. Didn't get any pics of my large, more secluded plot.

View attachment 415375View attachment 415374View attachment 415375

View attachment 415374

Ok, the rest of the story. It appears you could go with the three day if you keep up with the low growth.
Weed seeds in the soil will continue to germinate for years, so be ready to spray, tear up the soil, and spray again if you want a picture perfect food plot.
You've done well so far it appears.

Latest posts

Top Bottom