Glyphosate Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put here instead of the hunting subforum as I'm looking for faster responses. Trying to make a decision this evening.

Got behind on my food plots this season, for various reasons. Putting in three food plots. One is about 6000 sq ft, the middle is approx 1/2 acre and the larger one is about 3/4-1 acre. The last couple three weeks I had brush hogged the plot areas. The following week I used my tractor with brush grapple to back-drag all the plots to remove most of the cuttings and debris. The plots have a small bit of regrowth the last couple weeks but are relatively in good shape. I wanted to spray them to kill off any of the small weeds and regrowth that have take hold. I sprayed the small and medium plots last sunday and the large plot on Tuesday afternoon.

Here's the deal. I took tomorrow off to work on my plots and get them done by EOD Sunday. I have reserved a 3 pt tiller attachment for my Kubota. My plan is to get all the deer feeders in place with new batteries and filled with corn tomorrow and Saturday. Due to my work and personal schedule I really need to rototill and seed the plots this weekend. I want your opinion on if you think 5-7 days is enough time for the glyphsate to not adversely affect the seed I'm putting down? IF there is a potential for the herbicide to affect the seed does the rototilling help offset any affect. Let em know your thoughts and experiences. Thanks

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need at least a two week period after using Gly before planting.
Go ahead and till it up, and plant. The time for making the perfect plot is next season when you have more time.
Yeah, I've heard others say one to two weeks. So, let me ask you, @dennishoddy . Two options for me moving forward for this season. Better to plant the seed on Sunday and hope for the best with seed growth due to the glyphosate or rototill and prep everything this weekend and plant next weekend and hope the Oats get enough growth to be effective? Mostly wanting to attract as much deer as possible but really do all this for rifle season deer. If we get enough moisture do you feel 6 weeks of growthing will get me a decent crop of oats? I may have to see if I can adjust my schedules.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd wait unless you're a bowhunter wanting to get out early. The oats will take about 10 days to germinate and pop out of the ground if there is enough moisture in the ground. Another week they will be 2" tall and the deer will be feeding on them. By gun season, they will be 6" tall and lush depending on how many deer are feeding on the plot.
How do you plan to plant? Till and broadcast? If you do that method, very lightly till over the broadcasted seed, then back drag the entire plot with the bucket to compress the soil so it will retain what moisture is left in the soil. Soil contact with the seed will determine how soon it will germinate. I plant wheat. This is my plot after about 10 days.

IMG_2106.jpeg

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We mow, drill in seed, and glypho bomb a day or two later. If it ain't green and growing, glypho won't have any effect on it at all. It doesn't kill vegetation by chemical means, it's a super sunscreen that blocks uv and prevents photosynthesis.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What dennishoddy said. Plus it is going to come a frost say in the next 30-40 days possibly and when it does the grass will quit growing.

Plus with the nights getting cooler and days getting shorter the grass and other unwanted vegetation won’t grow as much either, so my two cents worth would be to hold off on the spraying and save a little bit of coin and extra labor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom