Anyone shoot cap and ball revolvers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phw

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Ruger black powder. I've had this revolver for almost 30 years. Don't shoot it much, but it has been a really fun weapon. Not real familiar with other Bo pistols.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Ruger Old Army that I got as a gift. When I got it I didn't think I would ever shoot it.

I finally got all the stuff to load and shoot blackpowder, and IT IS AWESOME. I can't shoot that gun without laughing like an idiot.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also it's great for trolling the other shooters at the pistol range. Just stand upwind of them and THREE HUGE BOOMS and then they can't see their targets.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For those that don't know, its better to shoot real black powder instead of the BP substitutes. If you decide to get a flinter you'll have to shoot the real stuff, the sub'd don't make flash powder for the pan.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Ruger Old Army that I got as a gift. When I got it I didn't think I would ever shoot it.

I finally got all the stuff to load and shoot blackpowder, and IT IS AWESOME. I can't shoot that gun without laughing like an idiot.

Roger that! I LOVE running my 1836 Paterson copy. The thing is so old school you have to take it apart to load it. It's like reliving firearm history.

For those that don't know, its better to shoot real black powder instead of the BP substitutes. If you decide to get a flinter you'll have to shoot the real stuff, the sub'd don't make flash powder for the pan.

Very true. I found this out the hard way after toting a flintlock to the range and not being able to fire it.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

We need to get together and go in together on a shipment of black powder. I need FFFG, FFG, and flash powder. I figure we could go in together on a shipment to save hazmat fee's.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just have a Traditions Trapper right now...it is a blast to shoot though(bullets or blanks). It's pretty top heavy, but deadly accurate up close. I haven't tried to see how far it will go yet. I want to get the Hawken rifle to go with it, but there are also a few revolvers I want to pick up. The C&R bug can bite you pretty easily(especially black powder), its a fun hobby.

images_cabelas_com_is_image_cabelas_s7_216925_498_01_f64121a52ecc3e5697e07c3f1ced4db7._.jpg

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's another link to a very useful article on running the guns.

http://www.curtrich.com/frontiersmen.html

Note: if you decide to go ahead with your purchase, and you decide to use genuine black powder there's a couple of things you need to do prior to shooting. Thoroughly clean your cylinder and barrel with hot soapy water. You want to remove every little bit of the factory applied oil or grease. Then, while the metal is still hot, use a BP compatible lube to wipe everything down with. Bore Butter, Crisco, olive oil, mutton tallow, Ballistol are all very good choices. After shooting BP clean with hot soapy water. I like to use Murphy's Oil Soap. Dry it good with patches and Q-Tips, then lube and oil. Bore Butter smeared all over the arbor will keep it running free during shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom