Anyone use old school brass cleaning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I reloaded cartridges for years without a tumbler. I washed the brass, mostly just hot water and soap. Even now I rarely clean rifle brass, not washed, not tumbled. I just wipe the neck after shooting and stick it back in the box to reload. Of course, my rifles are bolt guns. The brass rarely touches the ground.

I didn't have a tumbler until one came in a lot of stuff I traded for.

Decades ago nobody had a tumbler. Reloaders were easy to spot, with the brown cartridges. I don't think tumblers became popular until into the early 1990s.

There's an awful lot of time and typing about the part of reloading that makes the least difference.
I’ve reloaded without cleaning brass before. I just prefer clean brass so it’s worth this minimal effort to me.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use crushed walnut from harbor freight, a squirt of Nu-finish, or Lewis metal polish, and tumble 300-400 rounds of 9mm at a time. All outdoor range pick up brass and some is pretty nasty. I set a timer for 2 hours but usually after about 1 hour the brass is pretty darn clean.
This process works well for me. I have arrived at the conclusion that super shiny brass does not make my guns run better or me a better shooter. Remembering that the goal here is to fill the inside with burnt carbon soot and quickly throw them on the ground.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tumble with media as well, just referring to the really dirty stuff. I chemically clean, rinse and dry first.
I use a teaspoon of lemisheen and a tablespoon of oxyclean in a qt or so or water
don't dilly-dally - shake it a bit every few minutes and in about 5 or so you have clean brass --- very quick and non abrasive and cleans mostly inside and out - rinse it and dump it into an old t-shirt and shake to remove most of the water then let it dry - all done

Latest posts

Top Bottom