Apartment Home Defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can't beat a 12 ga with 7-1/2 birdshot for what you are needing. Minimal overpenetration and you would be shocked to see what damage birdshot can do at home defense distances.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can't beat a 12 ga with 7-1/2 birdshot for what you are needing. Minimal overpenetration and you would be shocked to see what damage birdshot can do at home defense distances.

This is the way I would go too, a face full of birdshot will stop even the most determined attacker. Actually, even a center mass hit is going to take care of the problem.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.firequest.com_media_products_RIP45P.jpg

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first and best upgrade you can make moving into an apartment is a few three inch screws. The latch plate and hinges generally are about one inch long and easily the main reason why the doors are so easily breached. When I remove the latch plates I also sink one screw behind the point where the actual deadbolt latch is. It ends up covered by the plate anyway and increases the strength even more.

Apartment living does require a lot of forethought of your neighbors in regards to self defense though. I have my 12 gauge setup with a couple lead birdshot target loads followed by some 1500FPS steel shot for duck hunting and finally some slugs if it gets to that point but for one or two people I highly doubt it. I always carry my pistol at home unless I have decided on the rare occasion to have a few drinks or I am in the shower and it is then not far away from me and the AR is in the bedroom ready and waiting.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
James Yeager advocates 00 buckshot for us. Thoughts?
Please do not fall for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pick up brass of all sorts when I go to the range in case I ever want to reload it sometime or just give it to somebody. What's funny is theres always a huge number of R.I.P. headstamps on em. Like you'd be surprised how much the shop there keeps in stock. Gotta feeling it's the OSU kids buying it up lol.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
James Yeager advocates 00 buckshot for us. Thoughts?

I pick up brass of all sorts when I go to the range in case I ever want to reload it sometime or just give it to somebody. What's funny is theres always a huge number of R.I.P. headstamps on em. Like you'd be surprised how much the shop there keeps in stock. Gotta feeling it's the OSU kids buying it up lol.

If you live in a single dwelling with no kids or others in bedrooms, the 00 is preferable.
If not, stay with bird shot.
The thing for you to do is to take some bird shot and a watermelon or cantaloupe and shoot it at 5 yds. Put an old pair of jeans in front of it folded to have 4 layers to simulate clothing.
You'll begin to understand what some have mentioned in this thread about the power of that load.

Last edited:

carter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
for your consideration ..... set bed so an outside wall is to your back ... along a long side of bed. place table or night stand here. place here ... no can shoot you in the back ... in case of intrusion... have night loght on in lr or dining room

truck keys so you can set off trick's alarm
phone to call 911
cell for back up 911 call
lay shotgun on the bed
when the intruder blocks the light coming throigh door way. ... pull triggers as shotgun is pointed at door way

Latest posts

Top Bottom