Apply for CCl when moved here from TX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My sister is moving here from Texas (please reserve all jokes for later). She already has a CCL from Texas and wants to know what she has to do to transfer it. So far all i can find out is that she has to submit an application. Does she have to go through a class though? How long does she have to do it? If anyone knows some info i'd really appreciate it!!:friday:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is no transfer provision. She has to complete the entire process.

She'll need to take the class and, once she's established residency, she'll have to submit an application.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so it would probably be better for her to wait and take the class once she has lived here long enough then submit the application since Oklahoma recognizes Texas' CCL.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so it would probably be better for her to wait and take the class once she has lived here long enough then submit the application since Oklahoma recognizes Texas' CCL.

She can actually take the class now and apply once she gets her OK drivers license.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First Thing she needs to do is contact TX DPS and convert her TX carry license to non-resident when she moves. It is a simple process.
Then she can keep the TX license valid as long as she wants.
After that, she can still carry in OK and get an OK license at her leisure if she wants.

CHLs are NOT like driver's licenses, and you can have as many as you care to get. They DO NOT transfer from one state to the other, but many states recognize multiple licenses, as OK does.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We dont have a transfer provision (Oklahoma is in denial--- they still don't think outsiders move here).

Maybe we should get some provisions for transfer tacked on to the SDA. You folks do realise that the 'outside world' has some concept that Oklahoma is a 'gun freindly' state? I found it just a little stupid that my former CCW was not transferable... my training was current and the test standard was higher than it was here too. Oklahoma voids your SDA card when you leave here. I was not thinking when I applied in OK--- but a Utah Non resident is in my future. I should have gone that way first.

I hate to see a Federal "anything" regarding CCW permits -- but we really need to get some universal standards and TRUE reciprocal priviliges... or just dump it all and follow the Consitution.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First Thing she needs to do is contact TX DPS and convert her TX carry license to non-resident when she moves. It is a simple process.
Then she can keep the TX license valid as long as she wants.
After that, she can still carry in OK and get an OK license at her leisure if she wants.

CHLs are NOT like driver's licenses, and you can have as many as you care to get. They DO NOT transfer from one state to the other, but many states recognize multiple licenses, as OK does.

Right on. Sounds like a good option! I'll let her know. :yelclap:

Nightops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My SDA instructor required to see either OK identification, or a copy of orders stationing you in OK to take the test.

So once I changed over to an OK driver's license and address, my GA permit was worthless, since GA does not issue non-resident permits. But until that time, my GA DL and CCL was recognized by OK.

It's a shame too, since the GA permit serves in lieu of the NICS check when purchasing from a dealer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom