AR-15 BUIS opinions wanted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After Orlando, I bought an upper to go with a lower I've had laying around for a while. Of my other two ARs, one has an ACOG and one has a Holosun RDS, both with QD mounts and Magpul Pro BUIS. I figure that if my optic is FUBAR I can just pop it off go with the irons.

On the third AR, I decided to go with one of the new Vortex Spitfire AR (1X) prism scopes. Unlike the other two rifles, this one has no FSB. I've been debating on whether to go with Magpul Pro BUIS and a QD mount for the Spitfire, or just leave the mount alone and go with angled BUIS. Or maybe just run with no BUIS at all.

Any thoughts from folks who run a similar set-up? If you like the angled BUIS, which ones?

APH Tactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My $0.02.... always run hard sights as a backup. Regardless of make or model, optics fail. Batteries die, glass breaks, and internals get knocked loose. And from a "prepper" standpoint, what would you do If the company that made it no longer existed, or refused to honor whatever warrantee you had that they probably won't offer in a few years anyway? Keeping this in mind, I recommend steel (or even aluminum) buis like Troy over magpul. Magpul is a great company and i love their products, but at the end of the day, plastic is plastic, and I've broken too many of their products through falls or beating them on door frames, and window sills(2 front flip up sights to date), to recommend them to anyone interested in longevity.

Again, just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From a preparedness standpoint, I'm going to agree with other opinions. When it comes to preparing for a fight "two is one, and one is none," especially where it concerns your ability to place accurate fire on target. I personally like Troy battle sights, they line up with standard F height gas block sights, and they're made of steel. Heavier yes, but I've never seen a failure. My unit open purchased the rear back up sights for two deployments I went on. I never needed mine, a testament to the ACOG's durability I suppose, but of the guys who did I heard zero complaints.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My experience with Magpul Pro BUISs is, the SUCK!!!! At least the set I have does. The adjustment knobs are near impossible to turn, especially on the front sight. Mine got caught by a sling from another rifle at the range, gave it a yank and snap, off it came.

Otherwise, Yes on BUIS. Troy, MI, Diamond head, Sampson etc

Latest posts

Top Bottom