AR-15 lower NOT a firearm after all?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What was it that Saul Alinsky said ?

Something about making the enemy live up to their own rules.

If a "firearm" is defined a certain way, then force them to live with that definition. That is what this case was about, and the ATF choked on it.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just hope that some over zealous anti gun lawmakers don't use this as an opening to change things to screw us over somehow.

Yeah. I dont see this going in gun owner's favor if it goes in any direction at all. If anything uppers and lower would both be serialized and both components would need to be 4473'd. That would suck.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah. I dont see this going in gun owner's favor if it goes in any direction at all. If anything uppers and lower would both be serialized and both components would need to be 4473'd. That would suck.

Well, to follow the law as it's written (I know, I know), neither the upper OR lower qualifies as a receiver, or a firearm. Which means, neither part needs to be serialized at all.

The law was written many decades ago, before the AR type weapons were even thought of. Nobody had conceived of a receiver that didn't contain the trigger group, and wasn't threaded for a barrel. Nobody had conceived the 2-piece design.

The way I see this going, is the 2-part design being negated. .Gov will force the 2 pieces to be irrevocably united in some manner. This possibly will spell demise for the modular rifle.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, to follow the law as it's written (I know, I know), neither the upper OR lower qualifies as a receiver, or a firearm. Which means, neither part needs to be serialized at all.

The law was written many decades ago, before the AR type weapons were even thought of. Nobody had conceived of a receiver that didn't contain the trigger group, and wasn't threaded for a barrel. Nobody had conceived the 2-piece design.

The way I see this going, is the 2-part design being negated. .Gov will force the 2 pieces to be irrevocably united in some manner. This possibly will spell demise for the modular rifle.

Good call. I can see this happening.

Truth be told, though, I see each and every part of a gun(car, boat, train, airplane, chocolate cake) as being a separate component of the whole. The frame, be it as it may, is the one component everything else attaches to, melds with, and completes what ever the end device is. The device being constructed can't be what it is supposed to be without the frame. Congress needs to define what a firearm frame is in its simplest most basic single form. Put the serial number on it and voila!

The only other viable alternative is the repeal each and every law that infringes upon the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. It would be the least expensive as well and the one thing that will stop any form of servitude from ever rearing its head in this country. Period.

Woody

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Under the current construct...whatever the ATF says, this week, goes. Unless and until it is challenged in court and the ATF revises it's policy, it has the effect of law.
“When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty the ATF said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’

’The question is,’ said Alice the gun owning public, ‘whether you can make words mean so many different things.’

’The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty the ATF, ‘which is to be master — that’s all.”
(With apologies to Lewis Carroll.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom