AR-15 lower NOT a firearm after all?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, to follow the law as it's written (I know, I know), neither the upper OR lower qualifies as a receiver, or a firearm. Which means, neither part needs to be serialized at all.

The law was written many decades ago, before the AR type weapons were even thought of. Nobody had conceived of a receiver that didn't contain the trigger group, and wasn't threaded for a barrel. Nobody had conceived the 2-piece design.

The way I see this going, is the 2-part design being negated. .Gov will force the 2 pieces to be irrevocably united in some manner. This possibly will spell demise for the modular rifle.
OU and SXS shotguns will always be 2 part, but those parts are not interchangeable, so this is going to be an interesting ruling. :D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes but Shotguns meet the definition. The same part holds the trigger mechanism and "reciever" is one part. Its not threaded, but it is a receiver.
What I was referring to was this:

The way I see this going, is the 2-part design being negated. .Gov will force the 2 pieces to be irrevocably united in some manner. This possibly will spell demise for the modular rifle.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good call. I can see this happening.

Truth be told, though, I see each and every part of a gun(car, boat, train, airplane, chocolate cake) as being a separate component of the whole. The frame, be it as it may, is the one component everything else attaches to, melds with, and completes what ever the end device is. The device being constructed can't be what it is supposed to be without the frame. Congress needs to define what a firearm frame is in its simplest most basic single form. Put the serial number on it and voila!

The only other viable alternative is the repeal each and every law that infringes upon the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. It would be the least expensive as well and the one thing that will stop any form of servitude from ever rearing its head in this country. Period.

Woody

The thing is the part of the car that gets the VIN is the body, not the frame. You can swap the frame on a car (say going from stock to a tube frame) without having to re-register the car.

The way I see this going is the ATF ruling that due to its design, the lower is still considered the "rifle" because the FCG and magazine is housed in it. At least I hope its that way.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thing is the part of the car that gets the VIN is the body, not the frame. You can swap the frame on a car (say going from stock to a tube frame) without having to re-register the car.

The way I see this going is the ATF ruling that due to its design, the lower is still considered the "rifle" because the FCG and magazine is housed in it. At least I hope its that way.

I agree. The more I thought about it they probably really hardly care which part is serialized as long as some critical part of it is. Barrel, FCG, receiver whether upper or lower, any part of the firearm that is required for it to function really. As long as something is serialized they are probably appeased.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. The more I thought about it they probably really hardly care which part is serialized as long as some critical part of it is. Barrel, FCG, receiver whether upper or lower, any part of the firearm that is required for it to function really. As long as something is serialized they are probably appeased.

No, the firearm is defined pretty well, just that the AR 2 piece system kinda breaks the model. However, the lower receiver has the FCG, which honestly is what determines if its a machine gun or semi-auto. This feature trumps barrel length as far as the NFA is concerned therefore should be the most important aspect.

Honestly I'm fine with how its been. If I could afford it I could buy an m16 or production sample that is transferable, slap a new upper with a 10" barrel and upgraded BCG, barrel, handguard, gas block and have a modern day m16A3 or M4 while being on the legal side as the "firearm" was pre-registered before 1986.

Latest posts

Top Bottom