AR Feeding Probelms PLEASE HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diabjoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just built my first AR, took it to the range and had 0 issues. 100+ rounds without any sign of trouble. Put it back in the case, went to the range again and on almost every round had feeding issues. First sign of trouble was that I had to beat the bottom of the mag to get it to lock in and mag release is real tight. Then I'd charge it, first round would go but every round after that would only move slightly forward and get scraped up by the bcg. Manually charging it loads the round ok, but thats about it. The second range time I was using steel instead of brass, but messing with it at home with brass it seemed to have the same issues, not feeding quite right, tight mag fit and tight release. Without the upper connected the lower seems to lock in mags just fine. An unloaded mag locks in easier than loaded and with the bcg held back the mag also goes in easier. Still a little tight with the bcg back and with an unloaded mag. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What magazines are you using? Same one or type/manufacturer as last time? Specific to one mag? Did you possibly over-tighten the mag release? What brand of ammo were the brass? and steel? Were they both .223 or 5.56? One of each? Buffer weight? Did you build the upper or was it complete? Some pics might help.

diabjoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both range sessions were pmags. Its possible I over tightened the mag release. First time assembling anything. First time was armscor 223 brass, next time was steel wolf 223. Put some strike hold on all interior pieces, didn't seem to help. Second time at the range also tried my buddy's troy mag, same issues. After work tonight I'll try backing out the mag release and post some pics if possible. I assembled my upper as well as the lower. Standard buffer weight. Appreciate the help

diabjoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Out at the range today I had no problems with brass and only 2 problems with steel. Apparently my AR wants to be bathed in lube to consistently feed steel but loves brass. Thanks for the help OSA

Latest posts

Top Bottom