AR gas block sizes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I have the DPMS Oracle.
Yes, I'm gonna' get the Samson 12.5" key hole mid rail for it.
The gas block I have (which IMHO is stupid and doesn't make any sence) is the low profile but with the rail on top.
So instead if me using the Magpul front flip-up (which I bought before the Brownells 😞) I hadda' get a Brownells flip-up front so it would line up with the Magpul MBUS that I have on it since the rail on top of the receiver and the gas block rail don't line up evenly.
So I kinda wasted around $60 just because the rails ain't lined up, thank you to whoever made the LP gas block w/ a rail on top *sarcasm* 😑.
All in all though, I'll have my perfect rifle here soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seem to remember a thread where we told you that you were making a poor choice with the Oracle mostly because of the gas block but that advice went unheeded. Learned a life lesson. Another would be that instead of blaming the person that designed a stupid gas block, let the blame fall on the person that was given plenty of reasons to not use said rifle with gas block and ignored it. Poor form. Good luck going forward.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seem to remember a thread where we told you that you were making a poor choice with the Oracle mostly because of the gas block but that advice went unheeded. Learned a life lesson. Another would be that instead of blaming the person that designed a stupid gas block, let the blame fall on the person that was given plenty of reasons to not use said rifle with gas block and ignored it. Poor form. Good luck going forward.

Although that may be true unfortunately, I didn't have enough money at the time to get me a higher end rifle. Besides, it didn't really matter what rifle I would've gotten, a new gas block was going on it anyways. :P

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hacksaw and a file. Maybe a grinder.

I was just reading that your gas block is aluminum. Wonder if your hand guard would fit if you just chopped off the picatinny rails on it. Surely you know someone with a hacksaw and file! Clean the file often. Aluminum fills them up fast.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
He can't do that with his.

This is what his looks like:
picturearchive.gunauction.com_6306183507_11205024_dpms_oracle_ar_06.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Pull it off and sell it. You can probably get $10 or something for it, then you can get a lo-pro for $20, +/-.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hacksaw and a file. Maybe a grinder.

I was just reading that your gas block is aluminum. Wonder if your hand guard would fit if you just chopped off the picatinny rails on it. Surely you know someone with a hacksaw and file! Clean the file often. Aluminum fills them up fast.

I had already asked my dad if he knew anyone that would be able to do that and unfortunately he doesn't. :(

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This is what his looks like:
picturearchive.gunauction.com_6306183507_11205024_dpms_oracle_ar_06.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Pull it off and sell it. You can probably get $10 or something for it, then you can get a lo-pro for $20, +/-.

I forgot what GB I was gonna' get, I don't remember if it was from Samson or what. I am though for sure gonna' spend money on a good one, I'll have to look again and see what's out there to remember.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take pictures of whatever you end up doing, and post them. We likes the pictures around here. Pictures good. Ugh.

I'm for sure gonna take pictures, I'll probably make a new thread for the parts I'mma get and see what everyone else says to see if it's any good then when it's complete I'll make a new thread for the rifle itself.
Hopefully I'll have most of the stuff after Christmas.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Start By removing the muzzle device if there is one.
You said there are two set screws, double the work just unscrew them both.
You will need a small roll pin and a light hammer to drive the roll pin that holds the gas tube in place.
With everything done the gas block should just slide off of the barrel, I would say pull the gas block and tube off as an assembly and pop the roll pin off while using a work bench.

Gas blocks are cheap enough that I would not spend the time and energy to chop that one up amd just buy a new one and either keep that one for A future project or sell it off. The project you're working on should take you less than an hour to complete and cost less than $50 fine new parts and tools if you don't have them.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

My dad used to say: "Can't never did ANYTHING!"

I looked up some pictures before I commented.

Looks like it would fit under most hand guards with the removal of the raised portion of the rail, and a bit of trimming of the sides of the top, going nowhere near the gas tube area. Probably still have .080" to .100" of metal all around it. Maybe more.

It's your shooter, so it surely is up to you. You can't go wrong just buying one that is already made to do what you need, but (for me anyway) there is something very fun and satisfying about doing it yourself, if you are able.

If you lived here in town, I'd throw that dude in my mill vise and buzz those three cuts in three passes for a cup of coffee and a jelly filled donut. It'd take more time drinking the coffee and eating the donut than it would to chop it up. Wouldn't have to even take it off the barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom