AR gas block sizes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
My dad used to say: "Can't never did ANYTHING!"

I looked up some pictures before I commented.

Looks like it would fit under most hand guards with the removal of the raised portion of the rail, and a bit of trimming of the sides of the top, going nowhere near the gas tube area. Probably still have .080" to .100" of metal all around it. Maybe more.

It's your shooter, so it surely is up to you. You can't go wrong just buying one that is already made to do what you need, but (for me anyway) there is something very fun and satisfying about doing it yourself, if you are able.

If you lived here in town, I'd throw that dude in my mill vise and buzz those three cuts in three passes for a cup of coffee and a jelly filled donut. It'd take more time drinking the coffee and eating the donut than it would to chop it up. Wouldn't have to even take it off the barrel.

With a Mill it'd be easy! Cutting that much off with a Dremel would be a bear.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would come out oh so ugly with a Dremel for certain, but a good wrasp would make short work of it. I love me a good wrasp on aluminum. Fast, and gums up so much less!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
It would come out oh so ugly with a Dremel for certain, but a good wrasp would make short work of it. I love me a good wrasp on aluminum. Fast, and gums up so much less!

I give!

I amend my statement to: His gas block wouldn't be as easy to modify as an FSB.

For as easy as they are, having done 2 now; next time I will be pulling it and buying a micro block.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first motorcycle shop mentor (and hands down the wisest) was always giving me a hard time about wanting to make everything that I could, specialty tool wise, motorcycle parts wise, and other wise. He used to say to me, as I whittled away in the machine shop, or welded away with the TIG, "Dave, if you can buy it, buy it. If you CAN'T buy it, make it." I came to appreciate his wise words, but never got over the love of making, or better still modifying things.

These days I have more time than money, and don't get in too much of a hurry about things most of the time, so I'm all about making stuff again, if the mood hits me, and it's been hitting me a lot lately.

Every teenage boy should hand mill (that's a fun way to say file) a chunk of metal until it is square and true to .001" at least once in their life. Teaches patience, carefulness, appreciation for the time/work ratio, and appreciation of good tools, and good gloves!

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first motorcycle shop mentor (and hands down the wisest) was always giving me a hard time about wanting to make everything that I could, specialty tool wise, motorcycle parts wise, and other wise. He used to say to me, as I whittled away in the machine shop, or welded away with the TIG, "Dave, if you can buy it, buy it. If you CAN'T buy it, make it." I came to appreciate his wise words, but never got over the love of making, or better still modifying things.

These days I have more time than money, and don't get in too much of a hurry about things most of the time, so I'm all about making stuff again, if the mood hits me, and it's been hitting me a lot lately.

Every teenage boy should hand mill (that's a fun way to say file) a chunk of metal until it is square and true to .001" at least once in their life. Teaches patience, carefulness, appreciation for the time/work ratio, and appreciation of good tools, and good gloves!

Rasp.....and sore hands.... ;)

Actually its a file ..rasps are for wood...could be used on softer metal...aluminum?

Heh.... ;)

Last edited:

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are absolutely right. Good, good gloves.

Another OSA member came over a few weeks ago and we made a tool. No files were harmed in the making of it. We did make some sparks with a cut off wheel and melted a little metal with the old TIG. It never stops being fun!

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are absolutely right. Good, good gloves.

Another OSA member came over a few weeks ago and we made a tool. No files were harmed in the making of it. We did make some sparks with a cut off wheel and melted a little metal with the old TIG. It never stops being fun!

She is a beauty

Latest posts

Top Bottom