AR make & model

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a number of 1:9-barreled ARs. Barrels were cheap, and I was building multiple rifles. I've also got one with a 1:8 24" bull-profile Wilson barrel (from FBT, of course, lol). So if I want to shoot heavy boolits to long distances, it's not a problem.

That's the beauty of ARs.... you can swap parts, mix-and-match all day long. :D Or, be like me and just collect a dozen or so in different configurations so you can just grab the one you want that day! :D

I think the key is to sit down, figure out what you WANT to spend (not CAN), and what specific features you WANT. A free-float handguard? Nitrided/chrome-lined? Special stock? Flip-up sights? Optic/red dot/scope/etc.? If you want it all out of the gate, then build from scratch. If you want to add later as you go, then get a ready-built, or slap a made upper and lower together and go plink a while before you decide what you want long-term.

You really can't go wrong, unless you go buy something like a Rijas. You're looking here, you're budget-conscious, you're asking questions and reading and learning. That's the best start. You won't likely get taken in by fancy name brands or overblown hype. Any quality kit or full rifle will get you where you need to be. Honestly, for me, the quality is pretty good on most of the stuff out there, so aesthetics ends up being a big factor, plus price, since I like to build multiples.

Just my $0.02.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my FBT JSE upper is stamped 1/7 the one i order online was 1/9 in the info, I'm happy with the JSE, my s&w is 1/9 so I can reload the 69 smks for the 1/7 jse which I have just prepped 4 or 5 hundred rounds of brass for

kahrk-9

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would also look at Del-Ton for the $ you are talking. I will put any chromed DTI upper I've owned bench to bench with what I've seen with the "S&W" for the roll mark and will have saved $.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ended up getting the S&W from SSP since it was ready to go with the sights on it. Ill have to save my change to add anything to it to keep my wife from freaking out. Looks like a pretty good starter AR.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ended up getting the S&W from SSP since it was ready to go with the sights on it. Ill have to save my change to add anything to it to keep my wife from freaking out. Looks like a pretty good starter AR.

Sound like a good deal for you. Tommy has great prices and won't screw you around. Plus, it's always great to support the local shops.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You did well. We have one of the early S&W M&P15 Tactical rifles and it has proved to be a fantastic rifle and you can't beat it for the money.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Price wise, FBT is hard to beat. The batch of stuff I bought in there a few weeks ago either met or beat what I could order it for. I'll need parts for another rifle I have some bits and pieces for and will get them there as well.

Gebrown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Right now looks like I'm going with the S&W too. I'm about researched out, twist barrel, chrome barrel, mil spec and on and on. I research one thing that leads to another then another.
Anyway, still in a holding pattern for the time being.
Top IV
S&W
DPMS
FBT
PSA

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it's a good choice for the money. Well known brand, sights, mag, everything ready to go. No dust cover or forward assist, but I don't think they are needed for what I will be using it for (range plinking and maybe coyotes if I get a chance). I'll save up and get some kind of optics in the future. I haven't shot it yet, so I can't report on that yet. I plan to clean it and get out to the range in a few weeks and get it dialed in. Total came out to $650.24 and then I picked up Monarch brass 55gr from Academy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom