Archery hunters and arrogance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL!! You folks don't have any idea about arrogance untill you get around some purist fly fishermen.

Now that is a true statement! I had a buddy go to Montana to do a float fishing trip down a well known trout river and they hired a guide. The guide was snotty to them all day and they finally asked him what his problem was. He said, "I'd rather have a sister that was a whore than a brother who was a spin fisherman!" Of course they were fishing with spinning gear and that explained it.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now that is a true statement! I had a buddy go to Montana to do a float fishing trip down a well known trout river and they hired a guide. The guide was snotty to them all day and they finally asked him what his problem was. He said, "I'd rather have a sister that was a whore than a brother who was a spin fisherman!" Of course they were fishing with spinning gear and that explained it.

Hmm, thats an interesting story, AND it ties in with another thread on this forum right now. A perfect example of when to tip your guide NOTHING!! :)

Funny how people get off on my way is better than yours. I am ultra "liberal" when it comes to methods of take regarding fishing/hunting. I suppose you could call me an "extrimist" on the subject. IMO, if it does not negatively effect the overall population of a species ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING should be legal, so long as you have the landowners permission.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even flyfishing has it's elitist. I learned it because it was more challenging and I enjoy it. Catching trout on powerbait got boring to me real fast. After watching some fly guys I decided I wanted to try it. I think bowhunting is more challenging than gun hunting but your going to have arrogant people in every sport, put them on your ignore list if they bother you that much.

I'm one of those who thinks all hunting methods have their place, and try not to be elitist about any of them because I am admittedly much more of a 'shooter' than a 'hunter'.

However, I think we can all agree that trout fishing with powerbait is significantly less challenging than driving to a store and buying pre-packaged trout.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm one of those who thinks all hunting methods have their place, and try not to be elitist about any of them because I am admittedly much more of a 'shooter' than a 'hunter'.

However, I think we can all agree that trout fishing with powerbait is significantly less challenging than driving to a store and buying pre-packaged trout.

Yes but its not as fun!!! I remember you. I met you at mar val fishing the LIR. I was fishing with said powerbait and introducing my wife to the wonderful world of trout fishing. She had a blast and now wants to fish more than I do. You and your buddies started wading across the stream right into our lines. I said something and you looked at me like I was the jerk. If you wouldnt have been 20 years my elder I would have beat your .......

Please note sarcasm, but true story it happened last spring break. My grandfather was an avid fly fisherman and Ihe taught me pretty well. I just dont feel the need to feel above anyone else. As long as EVERYONE is having fun and being respectful what does it truly matter?

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Seems to me that if a new fly fisherman would have greater success using an indicator and thus allowing them to enjoy the sport, buy more gear and keep the sport alive why not advocate their use?

Same thing for bow, muzzle loader (smokeless or black powder), or gun hunting. whatever the hunter enjoys he or she should use. I don't have time for jackasses that want to look down their nose at other hunters based on how "pure" their hunting method is or isn't. each deserves a level of respect. None are easy. Thats why it's called hunting, not grocery shopping.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know what you all are smoking. We know that gun "hunters" are just lazy keyboard commanders that want meat.

Just joking. While some guys definitely have that attitude, I don't think most do. My experience has been that most bow hunters say they enjoy it more, and it is more challenging. I think they present it poorly sometimes and other times it is interpreted poorly so the air of arrogance appears more prevalent than it really is.

I have only bow hunted one season, but I am hooked. I love shooting my compound bow and can't wait until next season when I'm hopefully going to be able to come back to the states for Christmas so I can hunt. Last year I hunted bow hardcore, and brought my rifle out when it was time so I could have a better chance at more meat. For me, being out in the woods with a rifle is better than being at home, but being out with a bow is way more enjoyable. I think a lot of good points have been made already though.
1. The guy with 2,000 acres of private land that only hunts rifle and take a gigantor buck every year in my opinion doesn't have as good of a trophy as the guy with a spike taken with a bow on public land. To me the memories are the trophy, and the work involved in bow hunting typically is more intensive work (talking strictly hunt, not feed plots and all that), so bow hunting takes precedence for me.
2. It all depends on your purpose for hunting. If you primarily are a trophy rack hunter, guns are easier to accomplish your task. If you really want meat, well archery is your first option, but gun is your best bet. For me in the past, I've wanted meat first, so I will shoot almost anything at first, and once I have a little meat, start getting more particular. Now however, I am hunting strictly for the experience of hunting as I live out of the country. If I get to come back to the states during rifle season, I possibly will hunt with a rifle if I have family that REALLY wants the meat to increase chances of success and still give me a chance to get in the field, but more than likely I will bow hunt. It is way more enjoyable to me. I like being able to see the deer so close, I like hearing the doe bleat when I stick her with an arrow, the whole experience is just great for me.

So all that to say, I think bow hunting is more challenging and is my preference of style hands down, but to each their own. I think you get way higher percentage of "hunters" that do bow hunting and way higher percentage of "weekend warriors" that just blunder into the field with a gun hoping to find a deer. But when I was only rifle hunting I put just as much time into trying to get a deer as a bow hunter in the same land situation as me. My biggest problem with rifle hunters are when they are idiots and screw up my hunt. While there are idiot bow hunters, I find more idiot rifle hunters. But that can be said about a lot of things. I feel the same way about OU. I originally became an OSU fan because there seemed to be a higher percentage of idiot OU fans that OSU fans. The same to be said about people who support...... As long as the rifle hunter is responsible and respectful of people and animals, have fun!

That was the last point I was going to make in this dissertation I've written. To me, the most important thing involved in weapon of choice is what are you proficient with. If you can't do a clean kill shot consistently with a compound bow, use a crossbow. If you can't do it with a recurve, use a compound; if you can't with a crossbow, use a rifle. Do what is provides the maximum enjoyment for you while provided the least chance of prolonged suffering for the animal.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems to me that if a new fly fisherman would have greater success using an indicator and thus allowing them to enjoy the sport, buy more gear and keep the sport alive why not advocate their use?

Same thing for bow, muzzle loader (smokeless or black powder), or gun hunting. whatever the hunter enjoys he or she should use. I don't have time for jackasses that want to look down their nose at other hunters based on how "pure" their hunting method is or isn't. each deserves a level of respect. None are easy. Thats why it's called hunting, not grocery shopping.

Well said. I know people that are jackasses about everything they do and think their preferred way is the only way. I have a word for that and my word is *********.

Latest posts

Top Bottom