Archery hunters and arrogance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To add to that and make myself sound like a hypocrite lol
To me if I can kill it with my bow I'm leaving the gun at home. I'm sure a lot if y'all saw my Mt. Lion archery kill from last year.
BUT my favorite hunting out of anything is sitting out in a tower stand in western Oklahoma with my rifle.
To me, there is just something about it I love...

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get what you guys are saying, but none of that makes you "better" than a rifle hunter, it just makes you a hunter who does it differently. I've tried for years to really get into archery hunting, I have the motivation and desire, I just lack the time needed to get proficient at it. I rarely hunt out of a stand or blind, I enjoy sneaking around and being on the ground, regardless of what season it is or what I'm hunting. That doesn't make me any better than the guy who sits there patiently waiting for something to amble past.

Some people also think scrambled eggs are better than fried... fools.

Yes but I don't think I'm better than you because I prefer scrambled eggs.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me why so many archery hunters think they're so much better than gun hunters?
Because people who see themselves as "purists" tend to be smug SOBs. It's pretty common, and knows no socioeconomic or avocational bounds; you'll find smug SOBs driving Toyota Piouses, hunting with blackpowder rifles, growing organic gardens, fly fishing, teaching theoretical physics, and going on and on and on about baseball statistics.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
soooo if i say..
(just to stir the pot and keep this going...lol)

i have taken a deer with a rifle and a bow. you have not. am i not "better" than you? because you have yet to get a deer with a bow.

me 2 (gun and bow)
you 1 (gun)

if we keep score i'm winning...i'm better, thats what winning is being better (right)?

were talking about tools used not deer killed (right)? or do kills all of sudden count on being "better". because then pandora's box is opened...size of gun, x bow, shot placement, etc... will follow and we all know what that means...lol.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know what they're thinking when they say they're better. To me, a hunter is a hunter. Doesn't matter the weapon or the method, as long as its legal and fits within your own code of ethics, do whatever you want. Its the guys who say "I hunt with a bow, I'm a true hunter". I spend just as much time practicing with my gun, and just as much time outdoors as a lot of archery hunters, yet for some reason I'm not "true" or "real" because I use a rifle. That's absurd to me.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The shooting sports are full of these attitudes. The Skeet and Trap shooters are pipe smoking a-holes, long range precision guys think all other shooters are knuckle draggers, the "tactical" guys think they are the shooting world's version of MMA cage fighters, the archers fight with each other over which sub-group is better than the gun hunters etc...then there are a few of us who just like to go out and shoot and don't really care what someone else is doing and how they are doing it and think we are better than all the other's because we don't care...and miss the irony.

In other words, we are human and come packed with all the associated baggage.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Archery hunters are not a bettter class of hunter I do agree with that. The numbers of hunters that gun hunting draws out makes the 10% rule even more prevelent and they give the gun hunters a bad name.

Now as far as a game of skill and patience I will have to say that archery hunters require alot more than gun hunters to kill a deer. I'm not saying that there are gun hunters that don't possess what it takes to stalk to within 20 yard of a deer, draw a bow, and put the arrow where it counts.

I can tell you from experience that I learn alot more about hunting an animal when I archery hunt than when I gun hunt.

Either way I love both methods

Happy hunting!

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
soooo if i say..
(just to stir the pot and keep this going...lol)

i have taken a deer with a rifle and a bow. you have not. am i not "better" than you? because you have yet to get a deer with a bow.

me 2 (gun and bow)
you 1 (gun)

if we keep score i'm winning...i'm better, thats what winning is being better (right)?

What if I kill two with a bow and none with a gun...
You, two deer (1 gun and 1 bow)
Me, two deer (2 bow)
I'm better than you now right lol
I also kill a couple thousand fish a year with a bow..... We still keeping count BWAHAHAHA

I killed one deer with a rifle last year.
Under 10 yards with my 300 RUM LOL
I also killed one of my biggest bucks ever with a MuzzleLoader last year. Then again I also missed my biggest archery buck and possibly biggest buck ever last year with my bow. Chip shot too!!! No excuse for missing it...

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm far more impressed with their ability to sit in a stand or blind for 14 hours and remain alert that entire time. I can make it about an hour before I start fiddling with my phone, trying to catch bugs around me, or just flat out falling asleep.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm far more impressed with their ability to sit in a stand or blind for 14 hours and remain alert that entire time. I can make it about an hour before I start fiddling with my phone, trying to catch bugs around me, or just flat out falling asleep.

Who said anything about staying alert the whole time LOL
I've taken plenty naps in the stand and done a lot of OSA posting while in the stand
Hell the one I missed with my bow last year, I drive 12 hours straight through to Mexico. Got unpacked and in the stand for the evening hunt. I was asleep when that buck came in, I woke up with him standing at 60 yards lol
Yup I'm a real hunter LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom