Are Online Retailers Killing Local Gun Stores? Should We Care?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been run out of so many retail stores it's ridiculous. As someone who tends to do a lot of research on purchases, my tolerance for BS is extremely low. This applies to many gun shops now, previously it applied to a lot of computer and car audio purchases. After being ripped off by unscrupulous dealers on several occasions, paying good money for shoddy work and being talked down to by people supposedly "in the know," I finally got tired of being treated like a dipsh|t and started making all of those purchases online. I can say without hesitation I have spent many tens of thousands of dollars in the last decade on computers and car audio and electronics, and all of that has gone online except for the installation fees in my vehicles for alarms and audio - and I found ONE good guy whom I have utilized for these services exclusively for years - a member here, in fact. And he has profited tremendously from my business, and will continue to do so.

As for gun shops, the elitist attitude at so many of them has turned me away, just as the article mentioned. I have a good personal relationship with several, but unfortunately none are local to me. The couple of times I have tried my truly local gunshops, I haven't been impressed, thus I drive a LONG ways to patronize other shops that treat me better. I'm not a big spender anymore, but I'd rather drive an hour to support people I believe in than give a thin red dime to someone who treats me like an @$$hole.

<edit> And I'll add, when I say "run out" I mean, I chose to leave. I don't get into confrontations with idiots spewing BS anymore. I just shake my head, laugh and walk away. I feel sorry for schmucks getting fleeced or buying the BS, but it's not worth my time and investment to try to fight the fight. I've found these people are usually just crooked or are confidently wrong in their "knowledge" and I've got better ways to spend my time - and money.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My store regularly has prices cheaper than what people transfer guns in for. They don’t even ask or look. They just buy online and have it shipped. We can see ther invoice and they end up paying more than if they would have just walked in and bought the one on the shelf. That’s not always the case but it sure is a lot of times.
Oh, I never buy guns online.

I prefer to buy Saturday night specials in back alleys from questionable characters.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do both. I order some online, but I also but from a couple of the local guys. I buy from Sooner State Pawn and Village Tactical, because I like those guys and always feel like a get a good deal. I still enjoy being able to put my hands on a gun, before I buy it.
I will say that some of the local stores have hurt themselves. Some will ignore you and act like you are lucky that they let you in the door. Others will treat you like you know nothing and fill you full of BS.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know I paid over $100 more for a new shotgun for my son AND drove over an hour to pick it up, from my personal dealer, rather than buying online, or even on here. I've seen several times the same gun much cheaper here. Of course, it wasn't available here when I needed it, and they were able to get it within a couple of days... so it worked out.

Gun Poor Pop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When it comes to firearms, I am not loyal to anyone. I buy from lgs, individuals ftf,chain store retailers,pawn shops,online and auction. I prefer lgs and ftf. Auctions have been good to me also. My least favorite way to purchase is by far online. But if I find a smokin’ deal on something online I am willing to go through the hassle. I try to give my business to the locals and if they can get in the ballpark on price that’s what I do.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've bought 4 firearms last year. Two were at a LGS, one a gun show and the last at a chain. With the exception of the impulse buy of my PT840 at a gunshow, I looked at prices at various places (local) before I bought. My EC9s and P22QD were cheaper at SCI, but Academy killed them by almost a c note on my PX4. Most of the firearms that I've looked at will be cheaper at Academy now than most of the LGS in my area. And I'm sure I could probably find them cheaper online, but some things I would rather put hands on before I purchase. Ammo is still cheaper at Wally Word and Academy than anything I can find online.

Bottom line is I'm not made of money. I would love to pay the higher prices to support local small businesses, but I just can not afford to do that.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, the world is changing and if you’re not going along, you’ll get left behind. Some of the better online retailers are also some of the better brick and mortar stores. If you have a LGS and you’re not taking advantage of the interned, you’re exploiting less than half you potential revenue sources.

A website and Gun Broker should be a minimum presence. If you don’t spend too much on overhead and do all that, you can have a perfectly good storefront that people will come to as well.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the 80's to the early 2000 I bought most of my shooting stuff from Fred Bakers/OAS. Early on, they didn't even ask for my ID when writing a check (that's when they were next door to the theater). Everyone there knew me by my first name. I bought a crap load of reloading supplies while shooting IPSC competitions. Later on after they moved, their sales staff turned into a bunch of jackasses and Fred became a big jerk.

Now that that I have transitioned to shooting more long range rifle and the need for designer bullets I try to buy from Gene Sears. My last 3 firearm purchases and most of my reloading supplies have been from them. Their store hours suck but I can on-line buy and do a store pick up.

One thing we need to keep in mind is that proceeds from our purchases (taxes) does go to support Oklahoma wildlife.

The brick and mortar stores should do as a majority of on-line stores do and offer discounts to active/former military and LEO. All of my scope/spotting scopes/binocular purchases have been with my military discount. Some even offer discounts if you are a member to a certain firearms forum. Expertvoice.com is a very good place to start. I checked with KRG and they offer discounts for veterans on their chassis for my Tikka.

Latest posts

Top Bottom