1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Are Online Retailers Killing Local Gun Stores? Should We Care?

Discussion in 'Firearms Chat' started by Timmy59, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Dr. HK

Dr. HK Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Curious what gun store? I have never found prices lower than online.

O4L likes this.
  2. Dr. HK

Dr. HK Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    myself if I am buying used I like Sooner State Pawn, FTF. If I buy new I 98% of the time buy online. Though I keep my eyes on something I want and when I see it at a price too good to pass up I purchase it.

Many B&M shops are usually $50+ higher than online. Then you tack on tax.

DavidMcMillan likes this.
  3. doctorjj

doctorjj Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Doc’s Gun Store in Pryor. Obviously I can’t guarantee that we will be cheaper on any particular gun as I don’t have time to chase down the cheapest price on every gun out there. And sometimes the big boys simply can buy cheaper than we can. I know we have minimal markup and you can actually talk to someone who knows something and can handle the gun before you buy. And you can walk out the same day. If that service isn’t worth $10 extra, if that’s what it even was, then I guess I can’t help you guys out. I do know that a lot of the time I see the invoice that someone paid and I just laugh because we could have sold it cheaper. We just take our transfer fee and move along.

4. lasher

lasher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    this entire topic is a hoot. most the posters claiming to support local stores over online is super funny coming from this crowd. i offered an unfired DW here at more than 500 less than Bud's runs them with all the discounts applied and never got a nibble. one PM asking if it was a blem. so stop the BS'ing and just admit you look for the lowest price available, regardless where it might be...but will still pass on it if you can't chisel a few more discounted bucks. quit your day jobs and start stand up comedy

5. doctorjj

doctorjj Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Owning a store and seeing this is certainly comical. For instance, Triple 7 powder, Walmart here sells it for $29.99. We don’t get a single customer until they run out. We are selling it for $19.99 and ha e for several years. You have the 2 extremes. One’s who gripe because you charge $5 more than Bud’s on a gun and they aren’t willing to give one extra cent. And the other group that swears they support local business but pay more at Walmart because they probably just assume it’s cheaper.

dennishoddy and harley128 like this.
  6. Gun Poor Pop

Gun Poor Pop Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Lasher.Hmmmm.So let me make sure that I am understanding you correctly. You are claiming that the fact that you didn’t generate any interest in a private sale means that ..... this crowd.... does not support local gun stores? If that is your position..... quit your day job and start fortune telling.

7. Uncle TK

Uncle TK Sharpshooter

Supporter
    If you go to Walmart ever thing is market with the price! Some local Gun Stores do not mark prices where the buyer can see it.
    The local gun store also needs a WEB site with prices (Not Call For Best Price)

TwoForFlinching and dennishoddy like this.
  8. harley128

harley128 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    97.1%
    All of which(Web Site) contributes to cost, which then contributes to raising the price........

9. Uncle TK

Uncle TK Sharpshooter

Supporter
    In Post #48 Triple 7 powder $19.99 vs Walmat $29.99 if prices are posted on a Web site then more customers would drop by the shop.
    Which would generate more sells.
    A web site increases sales if prices are close.

dennishoddy likes this.
  10. Glocktogo

Glocktogo Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    That's because WM follows MAP policies. If a local seller is selling something for below MAP price, they can't publish that price without potentially losing their dealer/distributor authorization. When you see "Call for Price", that usually means they're selling it for less, not more.

harley128 likes this.