1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Are Online Retailers Killing Local Gun Stores? Should We Care?

Discussion in 'Firearms Chat' started by Timmy59, Feb 17, 2019.

1. TwoForFlinching

TwoForFlinching Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    LGS's kill themselves. There's a shop in Downtown Lawton where you can find a top quality Gen 4 Glock 17, offered a price break of $550+tax, comes with two factory mags, but he'd throw in a factory third for an extra $30..... Never went back.

There is a stellar shop midtown that does a lot of used arms and class three stuff. I buy what they have when I can, hope they last. But I often find myself still driving over to Murf's in Duncan. Good guys that don't get upset when you say there's not a single real 1911 in the Kimber case.

I don't buy guns from gun shops. I buy guns from good people who sell guns who happen to run gun shops. Or the guy on Facebook desperate for a little cash.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  2. kirk1978

kirk1978 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    As mentioned above, the elitist attitude has turned me off to a lot of local gun shops. I didn't purchase a gun online until about 2 years ago but since then, Ive purchased almost exclusively online or here. I will say that the one shop I go in to pick up my purchases always seem to have good prices and very good to deal with. (Sooner State Pawn)

DavidMcMillan likes this.
  3. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I buy guns at Atwoods, does that count ? They have a layaway which I make use of and other items for the farm life..

TwoForFlinching likes this.
  4. MacFromOK

MacFromOK Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I've had nothing but good experiences at Atwoods.
    :drunk2:

TwoForFlinching likes this.
  5. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    The elitist attitude seems to be rampant among gun shops. I can kind of understand why with them having to work with the general public and some of the dumbassery they experience, but good grief, give a guy a break until they exhibit that trait.
    My son and I went into a new gun store and range in Dallas. Beautiful place, with all long guns behind glass on the walls and pistols under glass in the middle. I was ogling some very nice O/U shotguns. In the glass reflection I could see a counter guy hovering behind.
    He finally approached and asked if I needed to look at something. Said not at this time, just wanted to check out what was in the place and have a look around. He turned around to walk away and turned back and said btw don’t touch the glass. We hadn’t touched anything. Kind of shocked he even said that. Told my son there was nothing there that interested me any more and we walked out.

MacFromOK and kirk1978 like this.
  6. kirk1978

kirk1978 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%

Oh I couldn't imagine having to deal with all the knuckleheads that are in and out of their shops.....maybe I would be the same way if I had to.

dennishoddy likes this.
  7. FrankNmac

FrankNmac Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Dennis, you should have been smarter than to admire an OU shotgun in Dallas, TX! No wonder they were rude to you. :ou

[​IMG]

dennishoddy and xseler like this.
  8. POKE1911

POKE1911 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I would argue that online retail is making the LGS better. Sure if they are unwilling to carry a good variety, price themselves too high, or provide poor service then it absolutely will kill them as it should. Those that are committed to providing excellent customer service, a variety of products, and stay competitive in price will actually thrive. Online retailers help these good LGS in two ways. Helps eliminate local competition that is unwilling to adapt. It also is free advertising and consumer education on established and new goods. There are a lot of people that still like to “feel” stuff before they buy and also like instant gratification. It’s on the store to close the sale and not have them go order in the parking lot.

It’s very similar to the idea the mom and pop shops die when wal-mart moves to town. In my undergrad we studied the impact of wal-mart on Summit Co. in Stillwater. How they used the competition to better themselves and thrive.

DavidMcMillan likes this.
  9. tRidiot

tRidiot Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Yeah I stopped going to gun shows when they passed $10 at the door...

Jcann likes this.
  10. n423

n423 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    That's why I said in the past, I won't pay over $10 to get in a gun show. Mainly I go to Wannemachers. I have bought a few guns online also.