assisted suicide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My father had liquid morphine & liquid Ativan, so it could be administered sublingual. After he passed, the hospice nurse came & picked up the bottles . Didn’t have to sign anything. This was just a couple years ago

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My father had liquid morphine & liquid Ativan, so it could be administered sublingual. After he passed, the hospice nurse came & picked up the bottles . Didn’t have to sign anything. This was just a couple years ago
Rules for different hospice units?
Don't know. All I know is that by signing that paper, nobody in the family could have been suspected of assisted suicide or stealing some of the pills for personal use.
I was more than happy to get a verification.

travisstorma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ours they just wanted the morphine destroyed. Said to pour it into old coffee grounds or something. Nurse checked it off saying it was done, but wasn't pushing it. They had a paper checklist with exact instructions. They weren't worried about the ativan.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just gonna toss this out there.

When my wife was still doing this work she was always armed and it was because of the potency of the ‘materials’ she was transporting. Fortunately back then we didn’t have the hardcore drug problems we have now.

Also I remember (back then and probably not now) she always inventoried and documented all drugs with signed witnesses and flushed them on site. Pretty sure they don’t dispose like that now.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife was a case manager for hospice for a couple years in the Tulsa area. Families steal the drugs, patients (yes patients) often sell the drugs.

I think the odds of getting an early out is less than getting meds stolen.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When my dad passed at home under hospice care, he was prescribed just enough morphine to keep him semi aware. I had to sign for the pills and the precise instructions on how to administer them.
When he passed, the first thing the hospice worker asked that came to the home was where are the pills.
They were counted out in front of me and another witness before signing another paper that said it counted good. That was 18 years ago.
I have no clue if that is even allowed now.

Well....they gave my dad when hewas dying of cancer some fentanyl patches. He'd slap one on and forget he had one on and slap on another. Had to call the ambulance twice because of that.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When my mom passed Hospice never came back. Some morphine and other stuff in the fridge.
Hung onto it for a year then dumped it. I think they know when it's time to give a 'near final' dose
of morphine. When the girgling from drowning starts is a final bell.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well....they gave my dad when hewas dying of cancer some fentanyl patches. He'd slap one on and forget he had one on and slap on another. Had to call the ambulance twice because of that.
By the time we got dad home, he was past self-administering his medications. Mom and I followed the directions to the letter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom