At least somebody gets it now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://m.nbcconnecticut.com/nbcconnecticut/pm_107784/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=4NMkRP3e

The Newtown Board of Education wants more armed police officers in the town's four elementary schools after the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary.

Last night, they decided to ask the town to approve the request to include one additional full-time Newtown police at each of the elementary schools in next year's budget.

Members of the board will meet today with state and federal officials about obtaining additional funding for security.

“Our parents are demanding of us that things are made safe and secure and certain measures are put in place,” Chairwoman Debbie Leidlein said. “So we’re being very thoughtful.”

Several police officers have been stationed at all Newtown schools since the Dec. 14 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary, where 20 children and six staff members were killed.

Those officers will remain at the school through the remainder of the school year, but the budget for the next fiscal year funds only resource officers at middle and high schools.

kamicollo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks we should allowed qualified well trained teachers the ability to carry concealed at schools? I would much rather my tax dollars be spent on training teachers properly and thoroughly instead hiring another LEO the be placed at a school. Lets face it, after 4 months that officer is going to be assigned another task and the school will go unprotected again. I have never had any personal experience from US Shooting Academy but I have heard nothing but positive reviews from them. I bet a place like this could and would put together a class specifically to train our educators.

I would like to make it very clear, I don't wish to arm every teacher in every school. Only the ones who meet a certain criteria. Then put them through an extensive training school that could make them 100% competent with a firearm.

Of course I also believe we should make gun safety/training a mandatory class in the 4th grade. Education is an amazing tool in removing fear from people(I know I am preaching to the choir here).

raeken45

Made of wrongthink
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is the important part. Not allowing any teacher to carry but ones that have training. They have all sorts of professional development days they can train during and there are probably training academies that would train them for free or a discount. The first thing should be taking away the gun free zones and letting parents carry on campus.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A police officer patrolling the halls would be fine. An armed teacher that goes berserk because moesha and shaquia won't shut up and pulls a gun and shoots them is not fine. Teachers in class can't stop an intrusion, a patrolling officer can.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think making it widely known that there are plain-clothed armed personnel, be they teachers or officers, in addition to uniformed armed personnel, would be a great deterrent.

You wouldn't even need to have plain-clothed personnel in each school. Just like marshals on airplanes.

pistolpete2002

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A police officer patrolling the halls would be fine. An armed teacher that goes berserk because moesha and shaquia won't shut up and pulls a gun and shoots them is not fine. Teachers in class can't stop an intrusion, a patrolling officer can.

Your statement is part of the problem.

Would you go crazy and start shooting students?? If you say no, then why would you "project" someone else doing the same thing?? The teachers that would be armed would go through training and certification and they would be legally owning/possessing a firearm and trained for certain situations.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks we should allowed qualified well trained teachers the ability to carry concealed at schools? I would much rather my tax dollars be spent on training teachers properly and thoroughly instead hiring another LEO the be placed at a school. Lets face it, after 4 months that officer is going to be assigned another task and the school will go unprotected again. I have never had any personal experience from US Shooting Academy but I have heard nothing but positive reviews from them. I bet a place like this could and would put together a class specifically to train our educators.

USSA already has:
School staff enrolls in free Tulsa gun safety classes

I would like to make it very clear, I don't wish to arm every teacher in every school. Only the ones who meet a certain criteria. Then put them through an extensive training school that could make them 100% competent with a firearm.

Why not let the teacher that works on the gun-free zone decide what is best for them and their students. Just like responsible gun owners, responsible teachers will do what is necessary to be prepared.[/B]

Of course I also believe we should make gun safety/training a mandatory class in the 4th grade. Education is an amazing tool in removing fear from people(I know I am preaching to the choir here).

That is the important part. Not allowing any teacher to carry but ones that have training. They have all sorts of professional development days they can train during and there are probably training academies that would train them for free or a discount. The first thing should be taking away the gun free zones and letting parents carry on campus.

Any parent should be able to carry, but not any teacher?

A police officer patrolling the halls would be fine. An armed teacher that goes berserk because moesha and shaquia won't shut up and pulls a gun and shoots them is not fine. Utah teachers have been carrying for more than a decade without a single incident. Teachers in class can't stop an intrusion, a patrolling officer can According to Dave Kopel's testimony before the Senate this week, teachers are exactly the ones who should be carrying. When seconds count the resource officer is just minutes away..

Schools in Denial

Teachers and Principals should carry in schools

This principal broke the law and saved lives.

More on schools, gun-free zones and what we can learn from research.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your statement is part of the problem.

Would you go crazy and start shooting students?? If you say no, then why would you "project" someone else doing the same thing?? The teachers that would be armed would go through training and certification and they would be legally owning/possessing a firearm and trained for certain situations.

This.

The training has already begun: Oklahoma Educators Security and Self Defense Association

runnin17

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it is fine to let teachers carry if they are trained and they WANT to carry. However, if a teacher is allowed to carry in the school then I think they also need to undergo an extensive background check. I know that many teachers I have come across I would not trust to carry a weapon around children. Don't get me wrong I have the utmost respect for teachers in general. It is a noble profession and I know they are grossly underpaid.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it is fine to let teachers carry if they are trained and they WANT to carry. However, if a teacher is allowed to carry in the school then I think they also need to undergo an extensive background check. I know that many teachers I have come across I would not trust to carry a weapon around children. Don't get me wrong I have the utmost respect for teachers in general. It is a noble profession and I know they are grossly underpaid.

All recently hired teachers, substitute teachers and student teachers are already required to have a background check. In my opinion, most teachers would not choose to carry or want to carry. As with all rights there are responsibilities. Proper training would be the responsibility of any school employee who intends to carry on the job.

Latest posts

Top Bottom