ATF issues guidelines on receiver sales

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrBaker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A pistol can change to a rifle, but not back, a rifle can never change to a pistol.

Why can't you change it back? Where did you get this info from? I've never seen anything to indicate a pistol can't be converted to a rifle and then back to a pistol. I agree on the rifle first can't go to a pistol.

edit to add: When somebody uses a Mectech (sp?) conversion for their Glock, do you think they are stuck that way?

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You know the ATF guidelines are so confusing(typical government) most of the ATF probably doesn't even understand them. Steve

I'm going to research this.

DrBaker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the way it was explained to me by a long time class 3 dealer.Once a sbr always a sbr. Steve

I'm not the expert, but it was explained to me a bit differently.......

The example I heard related to a person with an SBR that was moving to a state that did not allow SBRs. He changed the rifle to a 16" barrel and then notified the ATF of his permanent change and requested the item be classified as a title1 weapon. It will always show up in the ATF registry since it was registered at one time.

Again, I'm no expert and could certainly be wrong.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
OPS sells class 3 but not very often.It's apparently a pain in the a##.Usually we would send customers to Kurt Nichols for their class 3 needs,he's been doing it a long time.I'll call him for clarification,he's an expert. Steve

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is ATF's opinion on pistol to rifle and back to pistol.

ai462.photobucket.com_albums_qq344_quiet_wolf_BATFEletterpistolrifle1.jpg

ai462.photobucket.com_albums_qq344_quiet_wolf_BATFEletterpistolrifle2.jpg

I'm not the expert, but it was explained to me a bit differently.......

The example I heard related to a person with an SBR that was moving to a state that did not allow SBRs. He changed the rifle to a 16" barrel and then notified the ATF of his permanent change and requested the item be classified as a title1 weapon. It will always show up in the ATF registry since it was registered at one time.

Again, I'm no expert and could certainly be wrong.

You are correct. From the ATF NFA Handbook (http://www.atf.gov/firearms/nfa/nfa_handbook/chapter2.pdf)

Section 2.5 Removal of firearms from the scope of the NFA by modification/elimination of components.
Firearms, except machineguns and silencers, that are subject to the NFA fall within the various definitions due to specific features. If the particular feature that causes a firearm to be regulated by the NFA is eliminated or modified, the resulting weapon is no longer an NFA weapon. For example, a shotgun with a barrel length of 15 inches is an NFA weapon. If the 15- inch barrel is removed and disposed of, the remaining firearm is not subject to the NFA because it has no barrel. Likewise, if the 15 inch barrel is modified by permanently attaching an extension such that the barrel length is at least 18 inches and the overall length of the weapon is at least 26 inches, the modified firearm is not subject to the NFA. NOTE: an acceptable method for permanently installing a barrel extension is by gas or electric steel seam welding or the use of high temperature silver solder having a flow point of 1100 degrees Fahrenheit.

ATF does not mention notifiying them of the change, but one would be foolish to not have them update the registry to show the weapon is no longer a Title 2 weapon. Could prevent a lot of headaches down the road.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So here's a question...

If it started off life as an empty receiver, sitting on the shelf at a gun store, and was built into a pistol by a guy, then dismantled and re-assembled as a rifle by the same owner, isn't it still just on paper as a receiver? Is the guy required to say to the ATF what it was he built to begin with? It's still just "Other" on the paper, isn't it? That's how they filled it out when I bought an empty.

Just confused.

Latest posts

Top Bottom