Atlas Shrugged and 1984

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't call Atlas bad but agree there are stretches of the book that could have been condensed. I don't think there are many that will read it and not think it was time well spent.

Most these days won't make it through. I know my son won't.

And yeah, the movie trilogy wasn't very good. I was disappointed, I would have rather seen it as a series where there can be some REAL character development. But honestly, that isn't ever going to happen in the world today, the message is the wrong message.

Kind of like how 17 Democrats have been nominated for a Grammy Award (with 7 winning) and not a single Republican has ever been nominated? Surprised? Yeah, me neither.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On a related note, where are people buying books around the metro? Are there any non-specialty local stores in existence anymore?

I'm inflicting some economic pain on Amazon by not buying from them when I can avoid it.

I'm a fan of The Full Circle Book Store. It's on NW Highway at 50 Penn Place --- Across from the mall. The Full Circle is an old time book store, it's even got the ladders on a rail to get to top shelves. It's got a really nice 'vibe'!!

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On a related note, where are people buying books around the metro? Are there any non-specialty local stores in existence anymore?

I'm inflicting some economic pain on Amazon by not buying from them when I can avoid it.

I purchase most of my books from Thriftbooks.com or from Ebay, not Amazon. The only problem is finding older obscure books I want to read. Our local library in Guthrie sucks anymore. It is very limited in it's offerings. If anyone has ideas for great books to read, I'm all ears! Always looking fro great books to read. Thanks!

I'm a fan of The Full Circle Book Store. It's on NW Highway at 50 Penn Place --- Across from the mall. The Full Circle is an old time book store, it's even got the ladders on a rail to get to top shelves. It's got a really nice 'vibe'!!

I'll be checking the place out! Thanks!

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1984 is one of my favorite books and has been since high school days some 45 years ago. It feels timeless to me every time I read it, which is a couple of times a year.

104430890_3010154379103473_5803808740905569052_n.jpg

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’d add Ray Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451 to the list. It’s one of those books I read in school, but didn’t really get until I reread it as an adult. It was unbelievably prescient in predicting the dangers of political correctness decades before that phrase ever came into being.

People like to think that it’s a condemnation of right wingers burning books, but that’s because they missed how the book burning started—it started by banning the things that offended various minority groups.

Does that sound at all familiar?

As a friend of mine says, Bradbury, Rand, and Orwell were optimists...

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since the US gov is electronically making money appear like drops of water over Niagara Falls, another good read is When Money Dies.
Since we have no official inflation to speak of (1.8% right?), maybe we will not have the runaway inflation of Weimar, Zimbabwe or recently Argentina (btw, they are defaulting for the 3rd time in the last 20 years).

https://mises.org/library/when-money-dies

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since the US gov is electronically making money appear like drops of water over Niagara Falls, another good read is When Money Dies.
Since we have no official inflation to speak of (1.8% right?), maybe we will not have the runaway inflation of Weimar, Zimbabwe or recently Argentina (btw, they are defaulting for the 3rd time in the last 20 years).

The Fed keeps pounding the table about low inflation. Guess they discount the price of lumber, housing, new pickups, groceries, medical insurance, home owner's insurance, medical care, farm land, tires, car batteries......................................................................................

Latest posts

Top Bottom