Bald eagle at Lake Hefner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We see them pretty often, especially along the Salt Fork as they follow the ducks and geese. Couple of times a year you'll see one that looks way bigger than the normal baldy, yet no white head and it will be a Golden eagle.

Caught these two snacking on a snow goose on ice a couple miles north of the house last year.
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20150107_155144_zpsccb97u5c.jpg

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We see them pretty often, especially along the Salt Fork as they follow the ducks and geese. Couple of times a year you'll see one that looks way bigger than the normal baldy, yet no white head and it will be a Golden eagle.

Caught these two snacking on a snow goose on ice a couple miles north of the house last year.
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20150107_155144_zpsccb97u5c.jpg

Bald eagles do not get their trademark "white head" until they are between 2 to 3 years old.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^^^^ Nope, and Golden eagles have feathers all the way down to their talons..............which is how I know they're not an immature Bald. We usually see one about every other year. Fed GW at Salt Plains says they're here every here, but I don't always see them.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw a bald eagle up on my farm last weekend. East side of Ft. Gibson. My son was with me, we were about 75 yards from it just perched up in a tree.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember seeing a nesting pair with chicks in NE OK. It was cool to watch the parents hunt and the chicks move about the nest.

There's a huge preserve in Haines, AK that is a sight to see. We drove through in the "off season" and were floored. There were 4-6 eagles per tree, and no shortage of occupied trees. It's worth the stop if you're ever up that way, but it's really out of the way.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have an active nest by our home. The Sutton Aviary folks have a volunteer spotter that makes regular trips to photograph the nest.
They get plenty to eat from the road killed deer and fish on the Arkansas River.

Latest posts

Top Bottom