best 308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
lkillebrew,

Many folks were not happy about the changes Winchester made which resulted in a rifle that was less costly to build (cheaper), so the post-64s model 70s are not considered to be as desireable as earlier rifles.

Similarly, Winchester changed their mfg. of the Model 94. Have you ever noticed poorer quality of the metal receiver and finish on the post-64 Model 94s?

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your obviously just getting started in LR so I suggest one of two routes. No need to buy a $3000 rifle and a $1500 scope yet. Start with a Remington 700 SPS or PSS in .308 or .223 or a FNBR in .308. Put a $500 scope (Leupold VXIII or SWFA Supersniper etc.) on it with good rings and bases. Buy a couple cases (200 rounds) of FGMM ammo and shoot. After shooting around 1000 rounds you will know if you want to continue in LR. You can then sell the rifle and scope or keep it for a varmint rifle if you got the .223. By then you will have done enough shooting and research to decide what you want to do. I really think anyone interested in LR should put at least 1000 rounds through a stock heavy barrel rifle before buying a $3000 rifle. Savage also makes a good entry level LR rifle.

Best is subjective and everyone has differing opinions, I like Surgeons and they make them in Oklahoma.

Latest posts

Top Bottom