best 308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great Thanks.....ok...got another question...Scopes??? I have always been an iron site shooter....what is a good scope and whats it gonna cost me??

That's another limitless question. The sky is the limit on an optic. You can spend anywhere from $300 to $4000 on one. There are differences that justify the cost, but they may not be important to you. Again, Snipershide, Sniper Paradise, and Sniper Central may be some good reading for you.

Personally I like smaller cross hairs as they don't cover the target at extreme yardage. Everyone will have an opinion here. I had to chose something I felt meet my needs and my budget. I'm pleased with my selections however other might disagree with them.

Big brands like Leupold MK IV's, Night Force, ZEISS, Schmidt & Bender, Nikon, or my pick, IOR... There are many more on the list.. Visit SWFA.com for some looking around....

LibertyOptics is really good about answering questions and helping out. His name is Scott. I also understand a guy in Glenpool sells a scope that has been discussed here on OSA, Wotec I believe. You can find it in this forum.

Good luck!

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's another limitless question. The sky is the limit on an optic. You can spend anywhere from $300 to $4000 on one. There are differences that justify the cost, but they may not be important to you. Again, Snipershide, Sniper Paradise, and Sniper Central may be some good reading for you.

Personally I like smaller cross hairs as they don't cover the target at extreme yardage. Everyone will have an opinion here. I had to chose something I felt meet my needs and my budget. I'm pleased with my selections however other might disagree with them.

Big brands like Leupold MK IV's, Night Force, ZEISS, Schmidt & Bender, Nikon, or my pick, IOR... There are many more on the list.. Visit SWFA.com for some looking around....

LibertyOptics is really good about answering questions and helping out. His name is Scott. I also understand a guy in Glenpool sells a scope that has been discussed here on OSA, Wotec I believe. You can find it in this forum.

Good luck!

the S&B PMII scope runs about $2,500 alone

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In all seriousness, are you looking to start a build or buy one flat-out regardless of price - or just asking to be asking?

Surgeon Rifles right here in Prague, OK make what many consider to be the best bolt-action rifles on the market. GA Precision makes a pretty killer rifle and AI makes a friggin great rifle, but all three are going to set you back a few bucks.

fltmedic

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
EZ bake is right snipercentral has a vst forums dealing with this same question. It all really depends on how much your willing to spend. There are several great gunmakers that will amke a nice 308-EZ bake nailed 2 of them that are pretty well know also you might look at a Christensen arms and Lazzeroni. For a factory 308 Im a big FNH fan I have 2 and love them. A 700 is hard to beat cheap on the wallet and a ton of after market parts and smiths that can work on them.

coffeecup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe I overlooked it, but I didnt see anybody touting the merits of the Winchester 70. Could we consider this shooter 'up there' with the Remington700 ?

BIGJAKE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My FN PBR is quite accurate for me. If fact refering to the last post it is essentially a Win model 70 with a few upgrades to it. Mine is the 20" fluted barrel model. It has a hogue stock with alumium pillars and bed. I have already taken a 200lb deer with it this year and it holds 1/2 moa groups all day long with factorty hornady 150gr interbond ammo.

coffeecup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not defending.. ..or attacking the winchester model70. I've never owned one , and am asking if it is generally regarded in the same class as the rem700? Maybe the remington is easier to work with concerning aftermarket mods..?..

Latest posts

Top Bottom