best 308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My FN PBR is quite accurate for me. If fact refering to the last post it is essentially a Win model 70 with a few upgrades to it. Mine is the 20" fluted barrel model. It has a hogue stock with alumium pillars and bed. I have already taken a 200lb deer with it this year and it holds 1/2 moa groups all day long with factorty hornady 150gr interbond ammo.

The FN is a pre-64 Winchester action isn't it? Good guns (both of them), but neither is anything close to a GAP, Surgeon, or AI - those are gunsmith built customs (and if we're asking about the best .308, its a little unfair to the off-the-rack manufactured guns).

The model 70 is a good rifle, but many don't like the post-'64 action and Winchester's quality has suffered over the years (as has pretty much every other gun manufacturer save just a few).

The modern-day 700's only advantage (in my opinion) is the amount of aftermarket parts available for it out there (so you can replace the crappy Remington parts :D)

The Winchester and the Remington both used to be better built rifles than the current versions.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know what your budget is...KMW makes great rifles too. You may want to consider other cartridges too. The .308 isn't exactly the latest and greatest round. The 7mm-08, .260 and .243 can all exceed the .308 Win. when it comes to bullet drop & drift. I have a .308 that I had built 10 years ago. I know, I know...:blush: When it's time to rebarrel, I'll probably choose a different round. I would also look into the 7mm class cartridges ie. 7WSM, 7SAUM, 7mm-08, 7mmRM. 7mmAM....

What is the intended use? $$$?

There are alot of great gunsmiths out there.

Don't go to snipershide and start asking questions until you do some searchs and get some basic info. Noobs are usually not well liked there.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a good quality box-stock tactical rifle, either Accuracy International or the Sako TRG seem to be the top choices right now. For a few dollars less, consider an HS Precision HTR.

If you are not that serious (don't want to spend that much) then get a Remington SPS or maybe a Salvage and a good scope, and practice.

The Remington 700 action is easy for a gunsmith to work with and there's lots of aftermarket parts/options available so they often are used for custom rifles. Once in awhile you'll see a rifle built on a Win70 action, but they're not nearly as popular as the Remmys.

Custom actions get pricey. Surgeon actions are nice. Some are using Stiller, and I saw a good looking Lawton action on a rifle last week. GAP offers their Templar action. And there are many other custom actions available.

Barrel choices are numerous, too. Seeing lots of good Kreigers, Bartleins, Rocks, Broughtons, Liljas, and Obermeyer barrels.

Then there's stocks---I like the KMW (made to their specs by McMillan), also McMillan A4s and A5s, and Manners. Some tactical shooters prefer to use an Accuracy International stock for their Remington-action custom rifles.

Do not skimp on your optics. Why spend $3500 or more for rifle and put a $500 scope on it? You want that rifle shooting at it's full potential, spend enough to put some good quality glass on it (or else don't bother to buy the rifle).

Top quality tactical scopes are Heinsoldt, Schimdt & Bender, Premier, and US Optics. At the next level (also very good) is NightForce. Somewhere farther down is where Leupold seems to be. Farther below that are "others"

Lots of good equipment available, just depends on what you want to do and how much you can afford to spend.

CoyoteKid

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Leupold Mark II works great for ranges of 400+ but if i understand right your looking for 300 to 500 yard range. why dont you look at the Leupold VX3 it has internal hold over and you can have leupold put the varmint hunter or boone and crocket reticule. It cost right about $700. Great scope for up to 500 yards! you can even go to the custom shop and have your own reticle made for the .308 winchester cartirdge.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It all depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend. For an entry setup I'd go with something like a Rem LTR with a Nikon or Bushnell scope. That will get you shooting. Odds are after you get into LR shooting you'll figure out exactly what you want, and, if the bug really bites, you'll want to upgrade to top class stuff. What's the point of buying medium priced, medium quality gear if you're going to scrap it in a couple years for a upgrade?

If you want a top notch stick right off the bat you're looking at an AI or Gap built rifle with a S&B or Nightforce scope.

Still, a Rem LTR/PSS or Savage 10fp with a decent Nikon/Bushnell scope (+or- $300) with the right handloads should have you shooting at least 3/4 MOA. Still going to have to learn the wind.

BIGJAKE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The FN is a pre-64 Winchester action isn't it? Good guns (both of them), but neither is anything close to a GAP, Surgeon, or AI - those are gunsmith built customs (and if we're asking about the best .308, its a little unfair to the off-the-rack manufactured guns).

The only thing that is not close is the price to be honest with you.

True you can spend more money on a .308 rifle but if my $1000 rifle shoots confirmed 1/2" groups at 100 yards (if I do my part) then why would anyone spend $2600 on a GAP rifle that is "Guaranteed" to shoot the same size groups.

tin can

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
like I said a lil earlier I've always shot with open sites....every since my usmc days...(a long time ago) just always comfortable with them....at 500 mtrs 10 out of 10 in the bulls. I kinda am partial to the military rounds that's why I leam toward the 308.......ok...stupid question...again never really shot with scopes......are they easy to get use to using them??

Thanks for your patience

HMT204

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
like I said a lil earlier I've always shot with open sites....every since my usmc days...(a long time ago) just always comfortable with them....at 500 mtrs 10 out of 10 in the bulls. I kinda am partial to the military rounds that's why I leam toward the 308.......ok...stupid question...again never really shot with scopes......are they easy to get use to using them??

Thanks for your patience

10 of 10 at 500.. Sounds like me in my usmc days. I have scopes on my 22lr and .270. I have a red dot on my AR.. The .270 is sighted in and dead on, very easy to adjust to windage,range etc.. I like the red dot on the AR but tend to go back to open sites with the AR (just my usmc training). The 22lr is not sighted in as well but will be..

lkillebrew

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Winchester 70 bout a 84 model, paid 190 for it new at gun shop back in the day. Tasco 4x scope, I routinely shoot 2" groups @ 100 yds with it. It is my beater hunting gun and does fine. Based on my old cheap Winchester, I do not understand all the poor quality post 64 discussion. Of course, I may have been lucky and wound up with a good hunter. I had a Win 30/30 lever gun of same general time period. Lots of Winchester bashing on that gun too. It shot just fine for me, and killed plenty of game with clean shots. I traded it for a S&W wheel gun, and that gun was a dog.

Latest posts

Top Bottom