Best 380 Ammo for home defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glockwork1987

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GD 95gr JHPs... some one has already said this also... when i had the lcp. i tried 8-10 differant rounds... i think maybe 1 or 2 of those actually fired the whole clip w/o ftf or fte... good luck!

Glockwork1987

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread is kinda getting off topic. I'm not asking which is the best caliber gun for self defense. I'm just wanting to know who makes the best all around self defense round for a 380.

and actually you wanted to know the best HOME defense round... according to the topic.... if you want to go there.. i guess? but anyways good luck with the .380, hope you find something easier than i did!

FenixTxM3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and actually you wanted to know the best HOME defense round... according to the topic.... if you want to go there.. i guess? but anyways good luck with the .380, hope you find something easier than i did!

Thanks for your, help I'll pick up some of those along with some Hydra-shok and Pow'rBall.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My little LCP has never failed to fire anything I've put in it.
Obviously ball feeds about the best.
But some of the current trends in SD ammo are starting to look a lot like ball.
Whatever you end up using just make sure it functions in whatever you're shooting it in and then practice occassionally with it to stay prepared.

Like others have said for HD you might consider something more formidable.
But the little mouseguns are adequate as a minimal format.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All .380 JHP perform relatively poorly in FBI requirements which are lacking and generic in themselves. People need to understand how tough the human body is, even compared to ballistic Gel.

FMJ. IF you must have .380 as a primary carry.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yea you might have the ALLMIGHTY .357, but you only have 6 shots... lol.. now in a self defense situation 6 shots might work... but when you are in a fire fight i would really hate to have to reload 6 after 6 after 6. when in all reality isnt this why the invented the semi-auto? at the push of a button and wham.. 13 more shots...just my opinion...:giveup:

You ever see Jerry McCuleck <sp?> reload a revolver?

I think all Lieghton was saying is he's glad people pass the revolvers by so he can add them to his arsenal.

For what it's worth the 357 has outstanding stopping power and you might not need those other 13 shots.
Most of these calibers have a place and when one becomes effecient with them they perform quite well.
To each his own. That's the great thing about weapons.

And I'm not being critical or picking a fight.
Just adding my two cents.

FenixTxM3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My little LCP has never failed to fire anything I've put in it.
Obviously ball feeds about the best.
But some of the current trends in SD ammo are starting to look a lot like ball.
Whatever you end up using just make sure it functions in whatever you're shooting it in and then practice occassionally with it to stay prepared.

Like others have said for HD you might consider something more formidable.
But the little mouseguns are adequate as a minimal format.

I have a SA 1911 in my night stand for Home Defense, the 380 will be my carry gun once my ccw license comes in. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom