Best 380 Ammo for home defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not afraid to use HP's in my LCP or Keltec. I have over a case of Winchester Ranger T-series and I have some Corbon DPX. I think I like the Corbon the best. Feeds good and has been shown to have very reliable expansion and penetration that, to me, is quite acceptable for a mouse gun.

jimktm520

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have two .380's; a Ruger LCP and a NAA Guardian. The guardian, so far, has digested any .380 round I have fed it. The LCP has not liked to feed Cor-bon ammo. As a result, I stoke it with Speer Gold Dots. They reliably feed and eject while offering good performance (at least according to the numerous tests I have read).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.380 critical defense ammo has been proven to have the greatest penetration in ballistic gel, even with heavy clothing. It has reached 10" of penetration which equals the FBI's minimum requirments.
Only problem is that its from a 4" test barrel, not a P3AT.
But, that seems to be the best of the best for me, and thats what I run.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like Fiocchi FMJ. It's pretty hot for factory-loaded ball ammo. It is one of the best for small calibers (.32 and .380). I keep it in my LCP.

For ball, Speer Gold Dot and Corbon DPX (not the the Pow'r Ball) seem to be the best performers with regards to expansion. But expansion also mitigates penetration.

It's a careful balance, really. Golden Loki has pretty good gel tests. Of course these have to be taken with a grain of salt but they do help to grade expansion among different makes of ammunition.

http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/tests.htm

Rabbitcreekok

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Gel don't shoot back!!!!:tounge2:

Neither does a BG with 2 or 3 Hornady Critical Defense rounds in his chest.

I like the CD round in .380. I carry a PPK/S and it shoots it well. The Sig is a well made gun and should shoot most rounds. As others have suggested, try out various rounds by running enough rounds through the Sig until you are sure it operates flawlessly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom