Best Mexican restaurant in Norman....or not

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Preface: My wife and I use Trip Advisor frequently when looking up things for vacation like places to stay, things to do, restaurants, etc... So far, the reviews have aligned with ours until last night. I had been reading about this place in Norman with grand reviews and an endorsement from Baker Mayfield(should've been my first clue to avoid). It's a Mexican place on Porter called Tarahumara and it was 'voted' the #1 overall restaurant in Norman on Trip Advisor. Top 10 restaurants in Norman

Here's my review and I will be adding to Yelp also. Long read so may need some coffee.

Why in the world is this the #1 rated restaurant in Norman based on Trip Advisor reviews? I have now lost faith in TA reviews! Wife and I went for dinner after all the hype and reading reviews. EXTREMELY disappointed! We were seated immediately and fairly crowded but very loud.

The food was nothing more than average and could be gotten at any Mexican place in Oklahoma. Cheese dip started to coagulate after a few minutes so be sure to eat it hot or you'll have trouble with it sticking to the chip. Salsa is your run of the mill tomato/onion/peppers that's okay but not hot at all. Ordered the habanero salsa - small one - $2.25 on our check. Wife had the relleno and had to have been the smallest poblano on the truck. Rice was short grain, dry and didn't seem fresh. The beans are just that - blended up beans with some cheese on top. There wasn't a plate for under $17 or $18 with most over $20. Negra Modelo $7 + tax! House margarita $15 + tax! 2 dinners, 1 beer, 1 rita, 1 habanero salsa and $72 without tip. It was NOWHERE near an $80+ meal for 2.

The only bright spot was our waiter. While he was very attentive and friendly, he also was a tad overbearing as you're finishing up eating. He takes away your food plate and basically starts bussing the table while my wife is still eating. Our table was ready to seat other diners before we even got out the door!

Just can't recommend this place. In all honesty, Ted's Escondido is a better value and meal. And, Ted's is NOT a place that we frequent. Used to go to Chellino's on Grand in SW OKC but as the years went by their quality fell also.

Note: The drinks on the menu didn't have any prices listed and now I know why!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tarahumara is living on their past reputation, IMHO. They used to make really good food for a super low price, but they started ratcheting up the price and ratcheting down the quality, IMHO. I used to order lunch from them for my department as a reward for finishing a big project we did regularly, until one time the price went way up and the quantity of food was literally half of what we’d gotten just six months earlier.

Personally, I’d rather eat at Ted’s or at Los Dos Amigos (on Alameda just west of 24th). Of course, I haven’t eaten at Los Dos Amigos in years, so they may not be any great shakes these days, either.

j99tc88

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have gone to el huevo’s several times, it’s worthy, surf and turf nachos. The meat in that was awesome. Used to go to Ted’s but not so much anymore. Tarahumara’s used to be better than now but still like it there occasionally.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I don't do anything or buy anything based on reviews. Try to do my own homework. I've eaten there.....food was OK/good but the noise was just too much. Too many people crammed in a small space. Did the same thing for the Mexican restaurant, Cazadorez in Shawnee just south of I-40 on Harrison. Every time we passed there the parking lot was full....thought we need to try that place. Finally did....was not impressed. Looked like the 'draw' was for Margaritas and I'm not a fan of those and food was sub par.

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
El Sombrero on Lindsay street is one of my favorites. Not every item on the menu is a knock out, but all the tacos on the menu are off the charts good. Mama Vecas is also a very good Peruvian/Mexican restuarant. I recommend the fish tacos or Guiso.

I also agree with your review of Tarahumara. The last time I ate there was probably 15 years ago, and it was overhyped back then too.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, I don't do anything or buy anything based on reviews. Try to do my own homework. I've eaten there.....food was OK/good but the noise was just too much. Too many people crammed in a small space. Did the same thing for the Mexican restaurant, Cazadorez in Shawnee just south of I-40 on Harrison. Every time we passed there the parking lot was full....thought we need to try that place. Finally did....was not impressed. Looked like the 'draw' was for Margaritas and I'm not a fan of those and food was sub par.
I agree reviews are subjective but no more than we drive around I don't think your approach would work for us. I'm pretty meticulous on going over the reviews and having a Hispanic wife I am cautious on what to believe. Yeah, we can cook just as good of Mexican food as most restaurants but there are times we just gotta get out of the house. Wife and her cousin made some kick ass tamales(pork and chicken) - ground masa from a supermercado, cooked and shredded a marinated pork shoulder, smoked chicken and chopped. Incredible! Wife makes some awesome spanish rice and brown beans in the crock pot are simple then mash/refry. Hardest part of me is getting those damn flour tortillas to be round even using a press!

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love Tarahumara’s, we have been going since it opened and highly recommend it to my coworkers when in Oklahoma from the east coast.

I’ve never heard a complaint from folks so this comes as a surprise, I don’t ever believe reviews (good/bad), our family has enjoyed the privilege of being “Secret Shoppers” for quite a few restaurants in the Okc metro, a benefit of being in the food business, and can tell you that there are plenty of great choices if you base your food decisions on almost anything besides reviews. The owner of Tarahumara’s won’t miss your business as he has plenty but I guarantee that if you would have asked to see him to speak about your “situation” he would have made it right, he is a tremendous man.

Good luck in your culinary adventures!

Latest posts

Top Bottom