Best time(s) of the year to try fly fishing in and around Norman?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a beginner at fly fishing, and am wondering when the best time to hit local ponds/streams would be. Thanks for any help in advance!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a beginner at fly fishing, and am wondering when the best time to hit local ponds/streams would be. Thanks for any help in advance!
I'm a newb too, and don't have a clue what you have available in that area. Moon phases coincide with bluegill spawning periods. Fishing the nests is fun. Fish the weed beds any time for what ever specie is fun. Hook into a big bass, and the real fun is on.
Good luck, fly fishing is my preferred fishing method if I can do it because it offers different challenges to match the hatch and decide what fly to use at what time. Still working on this personally.

OKfella

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, if you are new to fly fishing, I have a site to recommend. As a young fellow, I had several books on knot tying, always liked the subject. The books were actually fairly terrible, the little pictures not always clear.

These days, through the magic of technology, we have animated knot tutorials, and it is easily 5x better. Take a peek, hope it helps.

http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/fly-fishing-knots/

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned a fly rod for almost 2 years now, and have yet to even try a cast. Yes, that's awful, I know. Around Norman, the water is going to be very dirty, as you know, unless you get on a spring-fed pond. The ponds at Lexington WMA are usually fairly clear. A few have fish and, depending on the height of the grass/weeds around the edge, should by fly-fishable.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know the Wildlife Department stocks one pond in Norman with fish for the close to home fishing that has a great weed bed to cast into, I just have never tried my fly rod there. I need to take it out there sometime to practice my cast.

Latest posts

Top Bottom