Best way to cut hole in chrome bumper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oufan24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to install some square led lights in the rear bumper of my F250. What's the best way to cut a square hole without messing up the chrome. I have read online about using a hole saw to cut a round hole, but I need to cut a square hole. Will be installing lights similar to this:
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160329_6947d547e8ba02c0aba30caec6fad417.jpg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You aren't going to keep from messing up the chrome. Even if it doesn't chip, which it will, you are creating an entrance for moisture to get under the chrome. It just goes south from there.

If your light will cover the portion cut out by enough you could use some good silicone or better yet a good epoxy aircraft sealant on it to slow down the process.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have a 50/50 chance of chipping the chrome...

Starter holes, and blades of some sort are your options. If I had no other option to mount them, I would probably use a reciprocating saw, and a very fine tooth blade. Bumpers are pretty thick, will be slow going. Then you will have the raw edge to deal with, and the potential for rust. Did I mention I would look for another way to mount them? :)

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
tape where the cut lines will be. Use an angle grinder and cutting wheel. If you dont have one bring it to me and I'll do it for ya. A circular cutting wheel wont chip the chrome. Done it before, easy peasy. Measure twice, cut once.

No discoloration of the chrome from the heat?

A cut off wheel would be the easiest, I just assumed it would blue the chrome.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No discoloration of the chrome from the heat?

A cut off wheel would be the easiest, I just assumed it would blue the chrome.
Best I remember it did but only slightly but only real close to the cut so it covers up when you install whatever it is your cutting out for. I wasnt worried about that. Also you can have someone holding an air hose blowing cold air on it while you cut.

Dalejbrass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best I remember it did but only slightly but only real close to the cut so it covers up when you install whatever it is your cutting out for. I wasnt worried about that. Also you can have someone holding an air hose blowing cold air on it while you cut.

This is the way to go. You could also use a heat reduction paste to keep temps down while cutting. Its fairly cheap and it works well while welding. Local welding shop should have it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom